Wall mounting?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Renovatio, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Renovatio macrumors regular

Renovatio

I am re-designing my office space and was thinking about wall mounting my two 30" displays to get them off my desk. I have been looking at this wall mount with the VESA adapter from Apple:

http://www.powermax.com/product/MOView_Medium_LCD_Flush_Mount_MVLCDF/j49852.html

I don't think I want an arm mount ... just don't like the asthetic value. However, I have a few questions about wall mounting the displays in this way:

1. What do you do with the cords? I have seen pictures of other setups that are free from cables hanging out of the display. Do you have to drill holes in the wall?

2. I am assuming a flush wall mount as I am looking at would prohibit usage of the firewire and usb hubs on my displays ... is this true?

I am still not 100% sure I want to go this route. I really like the look of this but don't know if it is practical or how hard to accomplish. I would appreciate any advice ... especially if you have a similar setup :)

Thanks a bunch!

Chris

2. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I would: Drill a hole, or cut a square, in the wall behind where the ACD would go. Run the wires down the inside of the wall, and cut a small, hidden one, where ever you need it.

Two 30" ACD's mounted side-by-side would look amazing!

3. Renovatio thread starter macrumors regular

Renovatio

That's what I thought too ... especially after seeing someone's single 30" ACD wall mounted. Beautiful!

I just thought about something as well ... I could just buy a couple firewire and USB extension cords, hook them into the monitors, and run them through the wall as you suggested for the DVI cord ... that way I don't lose the ports.

The more I think about this, the more I think I want to do it. Actually found out I may be moving in a few months so I may have to wait ... would hate to cut holes in the wall just before I move ... lol

Thanks for your help!

Chris

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Depends if it's a solid wall or a stud partition you're dealing with. If it's a solid wall, you'll be looking at chasing into the brickwork or blockwork and replastering afterwards. Whichever you have, you'll have to make some pretty solid fixings: those ACDs aren't light. If it's a stud partition, you may be better off cutting out enough plasterboard (wallboard) to fix additional noggins (cross-pieces) between the existing studs (timber uprights) so that all your fixings actually find some timber.

5. Renovatio thread starter macrumors regular

Renovatio

It's a stud wall so that should be good. Thanks for pointing out the extra support ... definitely a good idea. And yeah, these babies are HEAVY :)