Wall Street Journal Application Comes to iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

CNET briefly reviews WSJ - The Wall Street Journal [App Store, Free], which provides free access to The Wall Street Journal from the iPhone and iPod touch. While standalone applications created by newspapers are becoming increasingly common, the release of a free app for The Wall Street Journal is notable for the fact that the newspaper's subscribers typically pay substantial fees for access to its online content.

In its review, CNET draws comparisons to NYTimes [App Store, Free], a competing app released by The New York Times last August and significantly updated to version 2.0 just last month.

Aside from a couple of kinks, CNET seems to think that WSJ - The Wall Street Journal is a worthy release, with the ability to customize the application's toolbar and the ability to save or e-mail articles enhancing the free access to the newspaper's typically-paid online content.

Article Link: Wall Street Journal Application Comes to iPhone
  2. macrumors member

May 30, 2008
    This was long overdue - will be downloading immediately
  3. macrumors 68030

Jan 15, 2008
  4. macrumors member

Feb 20, 2008
    It's telling me I need to connect my phone to iTunes before it will install? Why? (On WiFi)
  5. macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Possibly free content now, but maybe subscriptions will be required to access some content when iPhone OS 3.0 arrives...
  6. macrumors newbie

Apr 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    This app is hot! As hot as a news application can be. It's better than my previous favorite, the AP news app — which still has a place on my phone and does local news too.
  7. macrumors newbie

May 5, 2009
    Thanks for sharing this good news about application!!
  8. macrumors newbie

May 6, 2009
    I really wanted to like the NY Times app, but it was the most crash-prone app I have ever downloaded. Hopefully WSJ will work better, I'm excited about it.
  9. macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2008
    I downloaded the updated NY Times app and it hasn't crashed on me yet. If you haven't checked it out yet, you should give it a try. I will definitely download the WSJ app and see how it works.

Edit: I checked it out. I'm still more used to using the NY Times app so I'm still going to stick with it.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Blackberries have offered this free for years now. I doubt they would add on subscriptions now.