Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

lte.png

The iPad 3 will come in 4G LTE versions for Verizon and AT&T according to a report from the Wall Street Journal. It was reported earlier today that the iPad 3 announcement would come on March 7.
Verizon Communications Inc. and AT&T Inc. will sell a version of the coming iPad that runs on their newest fourth-generation wireless networks, according to people familiar with the matter, as the battle to cash in on big investments in mobile broadband heats up.

Apple Inc. appears to be planning to announce the latest version of its tablet computer in the first week of March, according to another person briefed on the matter.

Whether other carriers will also sell the device couldn't be learned.
The WSJ noted that the devices will fallback to a "slower network technology" when LTE isn't available. The next iPad is expected to have a high-resolution Retina Display and a quad-core A6 processor, in addition to the LTE capabilities. There is no indication if the AT&T and Verizon iPads would be one model that can operate on both networks or separate units with individual SKUs, as they are currently.

Apple insiders have noted that Apple frequently engages in the practice of "controlled leaks", briefing trusted reporters with product information before the launch of a big product.

Article Link: Wall Street Journal Confirms 4G LTE iPad for AT&T and Verizon

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I hope they make an LTE one for Sprint even if they haven't launched their LTE network yet. It would be nice to be able to buy it now and have the feature when it starts to roll out.

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I know it's exciting for people to hear, but how did anyone *not* expect this? If you've paid attention to baseband roadmaps from Qualcomm at all, this was expected since last spring.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Uh...damn near 100%. Them, Bloomberg and AllThingsD won't usually print something unless it's coming straight from the horse's mouth.

not true. WSJ, NYT, Bloomberg etc have been VERY wrong SEVERAL times.

I'm pretty excited for 4G LTE though considering it's expanding rapidly in NYC/Long Island

besweeeet

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
iPad 2S**

*Can't imagine a device that won't have an updated design to be called an iPad 3.

Meh, nevermind.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I just hope the legendary battery life stays.

The 10+ hour battery life is a huge differentiator for the iPad. Not thinking about charging all day makes the iPad so much better than a laptop.

I am looking forward to all of these enhancements, but I don't want the iPad world to regress into the "7 hour" promises of the laptop world—particularly since laptops never last 7 hours. It's a different devise when you can work with it all day without needed a charge.

Fingers cross the post-Steve Apple hasn't lost site of what makes the iPad magic—at least in part—and is chasing specs just for that spec. I'd rather take 3G over average laptop battery life.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This looks to be the first Apple product that is unlocked and supports both AT&T and Verizon, right? So how does this work? Can you flip back and forth between different networks whenever you want? Can you be subscribed to both at once and just flip a switch? Because that would be great for trips where the coverage varies. It would also be nice to try out Verizon in my area on the iPad before the iPhone 5 comes out. Then I could decide on whether I should dump AT&T (likely) or stay with the stupid Death Star.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Would prefer a 4G LTE iPhone instead...

Let the downvotes commence

Since the iPad has a bigger battery, Apple didn't need to wait for the smaller, more power-efficient LTE chipsets.

In any case, this is a good move by Apple. They can gradually roll out LTE, plus it gives iPad 2 buyers a reason to upgrade. The iPad 3 should be a big hit. I'm planning to get one.

----------

not true. WSJ, NYT, Bloomberg etc have been VERY wrong SEVERAL times.

I'm pretty excited for 4G LTE though considering it's expanding rapidly in NYC/Long Island

None of them "predicted" the iPhone 5 last year. In general, the WSJ doesn't report leaks. It is a respected business publication (as is Bloomberg), and they usually are a good outlet for controlled leaks from Apple.

ejisfun

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
This looks to be the first Apple product that is unlocked and supports both AT&T and Verizon, right? So how does this work? Can you flip back and forth between different networks whenever you want? Can you be subscribed to both at once and just flip a switch? Because that would be great for trips where the coverage varies. It would also be nice to try out Verizon in my area on the iPad before the iPhone 5 comes out. Then I could decide on whether I should dump AT&T (likely) or stay with the stupid Death Star.

This is actually seems to be a possibility. iPhones are locked to a carrier because the carrier is paying for a lot of the phone, but carriers don't pay for iPads.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Meh, I don't even WANT 4G. It makes it more expensive and isn't even faster where I live (Los Angeles). The bottleneck is at the station in busy areas, not the air. And when it is faster, it makes it easier to accidentally waste your data plan on some video you click on by mistake.

Besides, according to a survey, >50% of iPhone 4 users think that they have 4G... or I think it was only in America. Semiconfusing name FTW.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For those complaining about battery life—I'm sure there will be a 4G on/off switch. So if it's an issue, then just toggle it off when you need a longer battery life over faster speed. But those lower power Qualcomm LTE chips are supposed to just be coming off the line. Unless Apple paid up big for some early orders—which is entirely possible. I mean, $100 billion can make just about anything happen. Either that or the iPad won't come out until nearly a month after this rumored March 7th launch date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.