Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
But will there be an LED surrounding the home button?
I hope there is. Even better would be a customizable color. But since we´re talking about Apple, we will probably just get a uniform ring with a color that matches the black/white/champagne/graphite.

DowdyFick

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
If it has the same design as the iPhone 5 the battery can't be enlarged a lot. So this is not really going to happen.

Watch the video TLD posted. The shell of the 5S is shaped different providing room for a larger battery.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Funny you say "sleeping" because as my friend pointed out "what's gonna stop your suspicious girlfriend from unlocking your phone while you sleep?"
Hopefully you'll be able to have some kind of two-factor authentication....

If your girlfriend is that suspicious, you might have other issues greater then a fingerprint scanner.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
California
Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Dual LED Flash.
Fingerprint Sensor.
Faster Processor.
Improved Battery Life.
New Colors.
iOS 7.
Improved Camera.

Let's Go!

Don't get me too excited. As far as I remember from years past, whenever I speculated the leaked details of the launch and became over-eager for them, I always ended up being disappointed.

Silly as it sounds, I miss the days when I never knew about MacRumors and I would come home one day to check the Apple website and be blown away.

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
No, you waterproof all of the internal components.
Something that's already been done so Apple will wait until they can buy the company that currently does it.

One of the major industrial coatings is made by RPM international which owns Rust-Oleum brand...NeverWet. Though they could license it.

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
Cool new iPhone feature: upload your fingerprint to NSA direct from your iPhone. And it's so simple you don't even have to hit send. It just magically goes to its database. :D

If you think the NSA doesn't already have our fingerprints, you're crazy :p

I'm pretty excited for this feature though!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Funny you say "sleeping" because as my friend pointed out "what's gonna stop your suspicious girlfriend from unlocking your phone while you sleep?"
Hopefully you'll be able to have some kind of two-factor authentication....

OMG to think someone sleeping with you would use your finger when you fall asleep is creepy. I feel sorry for those who worry about this. Not sure if it's worse she checks your email in your sleep, or that she'd use your sleeping finger, or that you have emails you're scared of her reading.

It's all weird....

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Motorola released an Android phone with a fingerprint sensor in 2011...people liked it from what I remember.

The Atrix. And the fingerprint sensor wore down after several months and stopped working. This was the problem with traditional fingerprint technology. It needed to be swiped, and eventually you'd swipe off the coating.

What Apple is going to unveil tomorrow will be a breakthrough in the field. Something that just works seamlessly and reliably. One that doesn't need to be swiped and thus won't break down. One that can instantly differentiate between which finger you're pressing with, and could assign different functions depending on which finger you press the home button with.

People are really underestimating just how exciting Apples new biometrics technology really is.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
You my friend are easy to please.

One thing I know is I miss the old notification pull down from ios 6.x I liked the weather and stock widgets better then the "Today" "notifications" and "missed notifications". It was better as one tab.

Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Dual LED Flash.
Fingerprint Sensor.
Faster Processor.
Improved Battery Life.
New Colors.
iOS 7.
Improved Camera.

Let's Go!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
CPU enhancements can significantly improve battery life

Posting a controversial comment on a popular thread makes my tapatalk beep me every minute. :eek:

The iPhone 5 used a newer CPU (A6) and has roughly the same sized battery with the 4S. However the battery life is worse probably due to the enlarged screen and LTE. This year we may see some improvement, but it will be minor unless Apple has some ground breaking battery technologies. And yes, iOS 7 is still new and it still needs several months to optimize the battery usage.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
If it has the same design as the iPhone 5 the battery can't be enlarged a lot. So this is not really going to happen.

They're adding like 10% more battery in the case. They shifted some stuff around so that they have room. It was in a previous leak or something. That plus the CPU will probably add some solid battery life

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Dual LED Flash.
Fingerprint Sensor.
Faster Processor.
Improved Battery Life.
New Colors.
iOS 7.
Improved Camera.

Let's Go!

So basically just a minor update. iOS 7 isn't anything ground breaking, new colors, welcome to the 21st century, faster processor is a given, improved camera, again should be a given.

SO basically this is a minor update with an amazing new finger print scanner, wow.

How about a bigger screen, NFC, infrared, etc....

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Overreact much? They could just have the option to disable the fingerprint scanner.

No, do you?

Of course it could be disabled, and probably will have it as an option. But if it doesn't work, it will be a big fail. They bought AuthenTec for over $300 million. If its defeated, that's a huge waste and loss of money and development.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What will be interesting is if there's more to this than just unlocking your device. I'm hoping that's where we maybe get a surprise tomorrow.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So basically just a minor update. iOS 7 isn't anything ground breaking, new colors, welcome to the 21st century, faster processor is a given, improved camera, again should be a given.

SO basically this is a minor update with an amazing new finger print scanner, wow.

How about a bigger screen, NFC, infrared, etc....

So basically you get to define what is a major or minor update? Android phones have had bigger screens and NFC for a while now. What's the big deal about that?

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
What will be interesting is if there's more to this than just unlocking your device. I'm hoping that's where we maybe get a surprise tomorrow.
Maybe some keychain integration. There are a lot of possibilities. That fingerprint is unique, after all (though there has some some talk about them being not that reliable after all, which I think is BS). But that´s where Two-Factor authentication comes in.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Do you use your other fingers to press the home button for the current iPhone? I use my thumb to press that button numerous times every day and don't find it awkward.

I actually use my index finger at times when I have the phone on a flat surface. Hopefully you can use multiple digits as a pass print. Something tells me apple will have thought of this.

Not that I care as I'm certainly not buying one. A better camera, flash, spec improvements and battery life are not enough to get me to fork out cash to replace my iphone 5. It's shocking how many people with the 5 that will upgrade though. SMH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.