Wallpaper - Randomize iPhoto Library

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joejoejoe, Jan 30, 2007.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2006
    Why can't I choose all the photos in my iphoto library as my desktop background and have the picture change/randomize? i can do this with folders, but i want my iphoto pictures to change... is there any way to do this???????????
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I was told this is to prevent the system using a tonne of resources trying to keep up with changing iPhoto libraries. To me, that seems like a pretty dodgy excuse for not letting us use iPhoto libraries as changing desktop images. Can you just choose one the folders from your iPhoto library such as Originals or Modified? :)
  3. pengu macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2005
    Diddily Daddily...
    If you go into iPhoto and click the "Desktop" button, then in System Preferences, "iPhoto Selection" will be picked, and you can make it randomize them. It IS a pain I know, but this will get you around the issue.
  4. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2006

thank you so much

for anyone else reading this, the "desktop" button is under Share in the Menu Bar
  5. chint2 macrumors newbie

May 5, 2010
    I need help. I do not see the Desktop button under the Share menu. I only have Set Desktop and it is grey'ed out.

Is there a different version of iPhoto?

Also under system preference i dont see the iphoto selection. Perhaps this is a function of the missing desktop button above.

Help. Thanks.
  6. Oneiromancer macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2009
    It's probably greyed out because you didn't select any photographs. You need to select all the photographs you want in the selection, then click Set Desktop under Share. After that, the folder "iPhoto Selection" with those photos will appear in the desktop preferences automatically.

Is there a way to add photos to that selection without actually having to reselect all the photos and click Set Dekstop? I add photos I want to use as wallpapers regularly, and I already have 12 thousand. This means that it takes a lot of time to make that selection.

What if I select a smart folder and click Set Desktop? Will the iPhoto Selection keep updating in accordance with the smart folder or will it only select the photos currently in the smart folder?