Walmart and Wii's

Discussion in 'Games' started by PCM, Nov 20, 2006.

1. PCM macrumors regular

MY STORY ON SATURDAY NIGHT AND WHY YOU SHOULDN'T BUY FROM WALMART:::

So get this with Walmart: My cousin (16 yrs old and broke and dying for cash) goes to Walmart at 6PM to wait in line for me (with a promise of 50 bucks cash). There is no line at that point and Walmart said they were getting 32 Wii's, 1 per family. Release was at midnight. She stands around and STARTS the line. Walmart tells her she must leave the premises or go shopping for other things since the line will not be honored until 10PM and people will not be allowed to line up until 10PM. She argues with them to no avail. She goes home.

My girlfriend and I head to Walmart at 9:15. There is a line already of 35-40 people outside (but lots of kids and families so probably only looking to buy 20-25 wii's). They have assigned themselves numbers and are REALLY aggressive. Loud and arguing over whether or not the line is official. Pretty nasty thugged-out/redneck group of people (Aberdeen, MD Walmart). I go inside and request to speak with the head store manager. I tell her how my cousin had been sent home earlier and that I thought it was ridiculous that they had in fact let people line up anyway since we would have been first in line. She says "that line is unofficial, the official line will start somewhere else. Don't get in that line there's no reason to". I tell her "you are going to have a riot when those people are told they are not in line and a there's a mad dash for a new line." She says "no worries, we have 4 police cars outside to deal with any disorder. Wait by the door and we will announce at 10PM- make a dash for the new line- it's not going to be that existing line I promise."

So I go outside, my girlfriend goes down to wait by the side entrance where about 10 people had started to wait, and we sit tight until 10. 10 o'clock rolls around, the same store manager comes out and points to the existing line --- "THIS IS THE OFFICIAL LINE". "SINGLE FILE PLEASE, 1 Wii per family". At that point there were well over a hundred people in line. If we had gotten in line right as we arrived (when we were told not to by the GM), we would have gotten a wii. So I go back inside, and bump into her. I ask her why she had lied to me. She mumbles something and then barks "I can't deal with you right now, I don't know what to tell you, OH WELL! go back to electronics and ask the department manager". So i go back and start to tell my story. The store manager (a huge thugged-out dude) literally tells me to "**** off" (in front of the preorder line full of kids). When I tell him "that's not really the way you should treat a customer" (calmly and politely), he yells at me "SUE WALMART THEN, SUE US. I DON"T CARE SUE WALMART". I leave, disgusted. I will NEVER again shop at Walmart.

2. PCM thread starter macrumors regular

BTW, I just got a Wii from ebay for $25 over retail. Watch the auctions carefuly, you can get one for a decent price. Might even help searching for Nintendo "we" in case somebody mispelled.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think it's pretty clear what she should be doing.

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I think it's safe to say that people everywhere got screwed on launch consoles (both Ps3 and Wii as well as 360s last year) so your story isn't exactly out of the ordinary and it doesn't only pertain to Walmart. I will say that it's ridiculous how insane video game system sales nights have gone and I will never attempt to buy a launch console ever again without preordering one first. This is f'n ridiculous, I cannot believe all the BS that's happened lately with these systems. Fights, shootings, robberies, etc. over a f'n videogame system. People need to get a damn grip. I'm more glad now than I was a two weeks ago that I decided to buy a 360 with my Wii money so I wouldn't have to go bother with these lunatics at retail stores. :mad: :rolleyes:

/sorry I had to vent

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I think that goes for a material goods in general, specifically on Black Friday people are just ridiculous. If getting somethin' at a retail store means disrespect for your fellow man, I'm against it.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

My girlfriend works in retail; I swear it's nearly every day that she has a new horror story of some wacked out customer. Some of them are rather funny, like the one customer who got upset that this particular store wasn't already selling Christmas ornaments (in context, already = last July). Some aren't so funny; one customer started yelling at her last week because there was an error in personalizing an item. The customer had misspelt her own name, twice, on the form used to order the personalization.

I really wish these deranged shoppers would take a step back and realizing that they're not fighting over food, water, or medicine, but a bloody toy. An expensive one, but still just a toy.

7. wako macrumors 65816

I cant blame the department manager for his action.... They arent getting paid very well for the crap they have to do...

8. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Black Friday - another argument to implement communism

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

ShopKo did this to me. Over the PS3.

They were only getting two. I showed up at opening. He told me no lines allowed until closing. I was very polite and pressed a little and he told me that if I wanted he would let me come back when it gets dark around 5 PM and I could start a line then.

I ran to Wal-Mart, because an assistant manager had told me they would allow no lines until 10 AM. When I got there at 9:30, the assistant manager told me that since I was so polite she would take me out with her when she starts the line and place me in the front. She did this (30 people came running out of their cars and rushed me, too), but the other manager decided to throw a lottery, so I got it. I rushed back to ShopKo (this shopko is on the other side of town), made it there by 10:45 AM...and two of the guys who lost the Wal-Mart lottery beat me there and convinced the manager to let them start a line. Of course, the store only got two. I was ticked, but I left politely. I probably should have gotten angrier but I was getting used to being cheated by stores. The only ones who were good to me were Best Buy who let me check the shipping records and I was able to beat the truck out to another city before they dropped off two late PS3's (so I got a PS3 on launch day without waiting anywhere).

I also had several stores (including Target and Circuit City) insist that I couldn't get in a line and that the line was unofficial, but then accept it.

10. mkaake macrumors 65816

I'm glad I didn't venture out to get a Wii... there were a lot to go around, but not enough, it seems. Glad that you can get them on eBay for very little more than retail (and almost at, accounting for sales tax). Plus, you can get them in packages with Wiimotes that are out of stock across the country right now...

11. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I camped out for the Wii at Walmart and it couldn't have gone smoother. You must just be unlucky. Each store handled it differently.

Well, it could have been smoother. They sold no games or accessories that night.