walmart expanding

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by OutThere, Apr 4, 2006.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

link

I just really want to see walmart crash and burn...:rolleyes:

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree. I hate Walmart.

Yeah, that's pretty much all I have to say about that... :cool:

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Where I live, Walmart is SO ghetto. It's the LAST place I want to go.
    What about where you live?

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yep, when i was at the wallmart where i live i saw the three things that signify wallmart for me.

Fox News was on inside, there was an SUV outside with a Bush Cheny 04 bumper sticker, and a rusted old car driven by what looked to be a single mother on welfare.

That is what i see at wallmart

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Right, but for some people from small towns it's the only place around.

6. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

It wasn't always that way.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Indeed. I'm just saying that not all Wallmart customers are republicans or single mothers on welfare.

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, and that's part of why Walmart sucks so much. They move into a small town area and force local stores to close down with their lower prices. Eventually they are the only game in town.
    My sister used to work for the auditing company that audited Walmart's books. She says that she will never shop there now, but she won't say why. Very mysterious...

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

Maybe this has something to do with it?

10. portent macrumors 6502a

Wal-Mart is a corporate bottom feeder, and the shoppers it attracts tend to be those without any other choice.

11. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

Wal Mart has been trying to build a store in my town (of about 25,000) for almost a year now and our town planning commission keeps turning them down and they keep coming back with a revised proposal and trying again. It's the most aggravating thing in the world, they just won't give up, or accept that maybe people don't want a Wal Mart. To make matters worse they keep coming up with ridiculous claims like that it won't add any light pollution at night or that the store will not be visible to neighbouring houses (apparently WalMart knows something about making matter invisible :rolleyes: )

12. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Hmm, maybe the anti-light pollution, and not visible to houses wal-marts are rev. B. Because the one in my town, must be rev. A. :rolleyes: You can see the light from it any where in town. And about 250-300 houses have the pleasure of a blue and white building and a 8 or so acre parking lot.

It also has a high rate of car accidents in it's stop light intersection. There was a big one yesterday, I counted about 3 EMT units leaving the scene.

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Where I live, three towns nearby just voted to enact moratoriums on "big box" stores, specifically to block Wal-Mart. Now that this is on a roll, other towns in the area are expected to follow suit. So it's not all bad news...let's just hope these moratoriums stick.

--Eric

14. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Well, I shop at Walmart, and I never once considered myself ghetto, until reading this post. That's a bit harsh, don't you think? :eek:

15. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Don't worry Jadekitty, I don't think youre ghetto :)

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

hey it's pretty simple, don't spend your money there. No they won't go out of business because some average income mac users are ignoring them, but at least you'll know your not helping them homogenize the planet.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You're in Missouri....Rolla by any chance? Just wondering because your bio says you're a student at RHS, with the R possibly standing for Rolla. Not to mention, the Wal-Mart down here does often seem to have accidents near it.

I'm down in that craphole for college (I know there's another UMR student who posts on MR too) and hate the fact there isnt much choice besides Wal-Mart. It's so dirty and trashy. K-Mart is even worse. I try to do most of my shopping at Kroger, but have to face the truth that there are somethings Kroger either doesn't sell or is insanely overpriced on. I'm hoping a Target opens up here (not likely) for several reasons. One, I get my employee discount since I work at one in STL during the summer. Two, the stores are just always nicer, and three, they don't have the same unethical business tactics Wally World has.

But to anyone who says "don't shop there", trust me....if I had a choice (that didn't involve driving 100 miles to the closest Target), I wouldn't shop there.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

So you can shop, be robbed and get cancer all at the same time.

Thank YOU Wal-Mart ! ! !

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Walmart expanding? they are already bigger than a small town in florida and they want more...gezzz

Coing soon: wal-mart land

Bless

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Interesting observation on NPR last night..

If Walmart wants to be community aware and supportive, they should increase the wages they pay their employees and offer some health insurance.

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Watch the documentary The High Cost of Low Cost... it's the best documentary about the Wal-Mart phenom.

23. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Not sure if this was the one I saw a few weeks back, but there was a really interesting documentary on PBS.

My dad is in the lawn mower business. It is amazing to me how companies like Toro and John Deere are scrapping quality for low price to get into the box stores. When Simplicity bought out Snapper, the CEO of Simplicity pulled the plug on a previous deal to sell Snapper at WalMart saying WalMart would damage the image of quality and customer service built by the dealer network. Really bold move in this day and age. The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart

24. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

WalMart & Microsoft

WalMart and Microsoft are the same... They won't die, they just piss everyone else off as they keep making lots of money.

25. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24