Walmart health plan is cheaper, offers more coverage than ObamaCare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 8, 2014.

1. macrumors regular

jkcerda

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-cheaper-offers-more-coverage-than-obamacare/

:darkbeer:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/surpr...x News&utm_source=foxnews.com&utm_medium=feed

2. macrumors 68030

G51989

3. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Is Walmart offering this plan to every U.S. citizen? If so, I have a family member who would like to sign up. If not, then, there is no comparison.

4. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Indeed, if you decide to leave the company and get a job, how long does their coverage carry over?

5. macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

apply to part timers?

How about they just unionize.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

jkcerda

so we can bail them out like GM? or so they can go bankrupt like Hostess?

7. macrumors 68030

G51989

You clearly have little to no idea what your talking about when it comes to Unions.

Hostess was suffering from declined sales, and ****** management that was unable to compete with new products. Their old 1950s lineup couldn't keep them in business. The Management took what was left of the companies coffers and gave themselfs a 60 million dollar golden parachute.

GM suffered from bad management, bad engineerings, building ****** cars for high prices that no one wanted. 20 years of unreliable junk.

Totally the workers fault.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

jkcerda

yeah, it was only bad management, over paid employees with good pensions had nothing to do with it.

9. macrumors 603

mrkramer

So is the right changing what they are referring to as Obamacare? I'd always seen them using that term to refer to the ACA as a whole which I'd assume these plans offered by Walmart to its employees comply with....

10. thread starter macrumors regular

jkcerda

the ONLY way the right will change Obamacare to the ACA is when it start working :p

plans are supposedly better, co-worker is looking into it.

11. macrumors 65816

Well, the single most expensive plan available to me on the exchange will be about $650 per month cheaper than my current group plan once my group plan raises rates in the spring. That's over $7,000 per year. Before, I was on the only plan in the state of Georgia to offer maternity coverage to individuals, and it was even more expensive than the plan I have now. So the savings would probably be even more. And, as far as I can tell, all of our current doctors are included on that plan.

Of course, the media doesn't jump on stories like that because they don't cause outrage. Believe it or not, it is working for plenty of people.

As for the OP…awesome…WalMart is offering a group plan which might be cheaper than they can get elsewhere.

12. macrumors 68000

Sydde

best idea yet

13. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Don't fret, Wal*Mart has a history of closing stores that vote for collective bargaining, i.e. a union.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

jkcerda

Good. Better safe than sorry:D

----------

Yeah, I'm sure bugger king & crapdonalds can hire all the displaced workers

15. macrumors G3

NT1440

Now you've really shown you have nothing but a bone to pick. The hostess employees took pay cuts multiple times to keep working there. Each time that money wasn't used to revise anything, it was simply given away as bonuses.

16. macrumors 6502

haxrnick

WTF do you people work that your bennies are that bad? I pay $150 a month, up from $120 last year, for full coverage of my wife and child. It almost makes me think that people make these numbers up.

17. thread starter macrumors regular

jkcerda

Does your employer contribute anything,?

----------

Can you back that up? Last I heard one of the 2 unions decided to continue with the strike

18. macrumors G3

NT1440

19. thread starter macrumors regular

jkcerda

20. macrumors G3

NT1440

How about the "overpaid employees" part? The FACT is that the vast majority of workers there took multiple pay cuts in the last 5 years of the company, while management rolled that into their own bonuses. I'd be pretty upset about having my salary cut from $45,000 to $35,000 in five years, only to be told that we're gonna take another 8% and cut the health benefits another 17%.

This was a clearcut example of vulture capitalism, but clearly it was the workers own fault, how dare they expect a middle class income when working for a company for 15+ years? :roll eyes:

21. thread starter macrumors regular

jkcerda

You are stuck on hostess. Over paid applies to GM :D

22. macrumors G3

NT1440

Yea, it was the workers that decided to make decades worth of **** cars that were overpriced, poorly constructed, and missed the market entirely.

Man those workers really know how to screw up a company with their huge decision maker powers.

23. thread starter macrumors regular

jkcerda

I can almost taste the sarcasm :D It was a combination of things. Crap designs , unreliable cars , over paid employees (including management) leaves little to no room to recover. We had no business bailing them out at all, they should have folded

24. macrumors 68020

Exactly.

On top of that, the Affordable Care Act is also covering individuals in states that accepted the Medicaid expansion. Since Walmart pays such low wages, thus leaving their employees below the poverty line, these very employees in a Medicaid expanded state can apply for and receive full coverage under the program, giving them essentially free healthcare.

25. thread starter macrumors regular

jkcerda

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2012/07/26/hostess-twinkies-bankrupt/