Walmart music store

Discussion in 'Community' started by dhracer88, May 14, 2005.

1. dhracer88 macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2005
    I was looking for some breakfast this morning when I stumbled upon a Rice Krispies box. I hate the cereal, but I saw "Free Music Download" on the back. I went onto Walmart's site, found the Aquabats' "Pizza Day" song, and tried to access it by following the Kellogs instructions. They don't include all of the user activities. Here's the accurate list:

1) Go to
    2) Click Get it Now
    3) Find out it's PC only and WMA (presumably the "copy protected" WMA) big deal, I'll use my pc
    4) Begin long installation (dial up)
    5) Download finishes, now you have to return to the walmart site
    6) find out firefox isn't supported. Close firefox, open IE
    7) Go to site again, click Launch it Now
    8) Opens WMP
    9) Must perform security upgrade to run
    10) click OK...
    11) Few minutes later, Can't connect to the proxy server
    12) Check settings, they're fine
    13) try repeatedly to no avail
    14) Curse walmart for using such a pos format
    15) While cursing, notice the "playsforsure" windows logo on the box
    *clenches fists*...

All I wanted was my one free song! Damn walmart! :mad: :mad: :mad: Sorry everyone, just needed to vent...

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Walmart Music store, haven't heard too much of them in the press lately.

I might give Yahoo Music Unlimited a try, it looks like a good service from a great company.
  3. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Wow that sounds like a headache.

Now I'm craving Rice Krispies! (I like that cereal) :D
  4. dhracer88 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2005
    Aha! I got it through their "original" download service!...Well it's slowly downloading, but I'll have it soon.
  5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    And how much easier is iTunes than this??

1) Download
    2) Install
    3) Get an account
    4) Click BUY
  6. dhracer88 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2005
    I know itunes is easier, but I had a free download, so I figured I'd give it a try...

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
  8. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2005
    What did you expect from a company like Wal-Fart?
  9. dhracer88 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2005
    Ohhhhhh Yeah...

It downloaded all right...Too bad it's a copy protected WMA that itunes can't convert. WMP can't even play it because it doesn't want to connect to the internet to get the license. It'll connect automatically for its msn music, but it won't get the "Security Upgrade" needed for wal-mart's over-protected mp3. Plus walmart doesn't give any help on this issue in their FAQ; "See this microsoft article for this problem." Only problem is microsoft doesn't help with walmart's wma with drm or something stupidly complex.

I think I'll email walmart support for help, probably to get another reference to a microsoft article. Or I can wait 2 days for my emusic downloads to refresh. I didn't want to use one of my 40 downloads I could've gotten free. You can help me if you click the link in my sig, and get yourself 50 free mp3s and me another 10. :D If you want to preview the artist and labels, go to, but come back and either email or pm me. Kind of like a gmail invite...except its the other way around, and you're doing it from the bottom of your heart (not even wallet :) )

10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    I get a free download in iTunes every week!
    Shame about the variability of them, but I guess that's more down to my taste.
  11. sonyrules macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2001

Thats Wal-mart for ya... Maybe thats why you dont hear about them, Cause they suck
  12. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2004
    Why is it that some of these folks don't get it?

A web interface is just important to customer interaction as the physical or people-to-people experience. Companies need to understand that having a web interface with:

1. An ordering/tracking system that is a pain to use or

2. A horrible interface for self service or that contains incorrect info

is just as bad as having a customer/prospect walk into a store and ask for help from an employee that's as responsive as a brick wall. In the on-line world, I can't go to a mgr (or even another employee) to ask for help - I tend to abandon my carts, etc. There tends to NOT be a second chance in this environment.

With regards to some of the poor interfaces I've used, it'd be better for these companies to abandon on-line ordering or self-service...these poor implementations tend to do more harm than good...
  13. dhracer88 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2005
    I agree completely. I wish walmart would either quit or improve its service (mp3s, not copyprotected, itunes-unreadable, WMAs; Firefox, not IE; Mac&Windows, not Win only), or give it up. Mostly, I wish Kelloggs would give you a free download from itunes or free mp3s from emusic (which would be awesome). What can you do though? They've got all these microshaft backed emplyees running it, ripping people off on an download that doesn't work, so they have to repurchase it to get it to work, which it won't, then they buy it again and again...Plus walmart is a damn superpower in itself, so they'll keep offering their crap no matter what :p .