Walmart's $200 Linux Box

Discussion in 'Community' started by buffsldr, Dec 10, 2002.

1. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

2. pantagruel macrumors regular

I wouldnt have thought you would find something like this at walmart, but its pretty cool that it is, I wonder if it will be in stores or just online? lots of uninformed pc users get pcs from walmart so imagine the look some kids faces this christmas when theyre mom gives them this for christmas...."what the hell is lindows man!?!":eek:

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...and how did they get to use that name...and not get sued by M$

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I think they did... not sure though

these machines would be great for students that just need internet/word processing machines and have like an xbox or ps2 or something for games..... would save a lot of money for college students and peoples... though I've read that there are some bugs and things to work out before they get really solid

5. vniow macrumors G4

www.lindows.com

Used it myself.

Not a bad distro at all, pretty usable.

And MS did sue them over the name, but lost.

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Intriuging. If I had the room I would consider buying one of them just to give Linux a whirl.

7. vniow macrumors G4

before you buy..........

Those el cheapo boxes that you buy at Wam-a-Lart are so cheap because they're essentially giving the OS away for free.

Lindows by itself is pretty stripped down, it doesn't exactly come with a lot of apps by default, you have to either apt-get them of download them from Click-and-Run.

CNR doesn't have as many apps, but it's easier to install them (plus there are three commercial ones in there) and it costs $99 on top of the amount that you actually pay for the computer.

You get 10 free downloads from CNR (which are yours to keep) but after that you gotta pay up.

That's why those machines are so cheap.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Microsoft did sue Lindows.com for using a name evoking images of their operating systems, as well as for the claims of compatibility to run Windows-based applications.

They did not get even an injunction because the judge stated something like "the name Windows is far too generic".

Lindows is Debian Linux with a special Lindows-only user interface to make it much easier for the new, not so technical user. It's been praised for the way it works, but others are going that way as well, namely SuSE and Red Hat.

It is an incredible deal, in any case.