Walt Mossbergh of NYT spills the beans?? HOT!!

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by newamiga, Dec 25, 2001.

1. newamiga macrumors member

Ok so I was just watching CNBC (Beat Checks at around 4 PM today) and Walt Mossbergh of the NY Times and good friend of Steve Jobs.. makes some comments on the future of Wi-Fi (802.11b) Airport by any other name. He basically said that a friend of his, who had started and established a large company, which is not a dot-com is going to make a big move in this area in the "near future". He basically described the wireless service as available anywhere with one account which would let you use this wireless access wherever you are. Now combine this with Mobilestar Wireless service. I don't know who else has used this service but it rocks. It is Airport compatible and available in many airports, Starbucks stores etc around the country. I have used it on the road quite a bit. Well they had some hard times recently and were miraculously returned to life with a mystery pot of money a couple months back. Humm infrastructure in place expanded, Airport standard in all Apple portable and for that matter all Apple products.. can you say revolutionary consumer product. Really hoping this is announced in MWSF.. I guess we will see in a couple weeks... what do you think?

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

starbucks, airport, 802.11b

i am in networking and i have heard these type of speculations for many months but the market will take a long time to come

the apple pda market, cell phone market, wired homes, or anything else is more likely to be big first

when i went to the local starbucks in my area and asked why they didn't have wireless yet, they just told me that it will come but a year late due to serious lack of interest

wireless has a future but will not likely make lan obsolete any more than tv didn't make the radio disappear so it's very unlikely that this will be big anytime soon

the listed ranges of 150 ft with airport seems to be less than half of that in most real life situations and some of the stories i hear on this forum and others claim even less range due to mositure and materials and other possible factors

even if steve jobs thinks something is big, everything is big with him so only time will tell

3. ThlayliTheFierce macrumors regular

But then you'd have to go into Starbuck's. Maybe you could go in there with some actually good coffee and just use the wireless service.