Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As a reminder, Steve Jobs' biographer Walter Isaacson was interviewed for 60 minutes. That interview will air tonight (Sunday, Oct 23rd) at 7pm Eastern/Pacific. Also included are interview tapes in which Jobs tells his own story.

Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs is due to launch officially on Monday, and is already available in some parts of the world on iBooks.

Article Link: Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs Interview on 60 Minutes Tonight

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

DVR is set already.

Edit: First! (I've always wanted to say that)

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Cool!

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Thanks for the info, I have an VPN with an American IP so I'll use that to watch it. Sounds like a great show.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Hmm, it's 7 now here in Maryland, but CBS is still airing the rest of the Steelers-Cardinals game and I just saw a commercial for their post-game coverage. Do they usually bump up 60 Minutes for football, pick up halfway through the program, or drop it all together? Things aren't looking good for it airing here tonight even though it is scheduled!

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
Hmm, it's 7 now here in Maryland, but CBS is still airing the rest of the Steelers-Cardinals game and I just saw a commercial for their post-game coverage. Do they usually bump up 60 Minutes for football, pick up halfway through the program, or drop it all together? Things aren't looking good for it airing here tonight even though it is scheduled!

They always push 60 Minutes back, because football is more important :D

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Nice story, surprised to see photos of Steve's family, specially his kids.

I still feel sad that he's gone and what other wonderful things he could have make.

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
I wasn't dead-set on reading the book given that biographies tend to be relatively biased and often push some sort of agenda for the author or publisher. However, after seeing the 60 Minutes special tonight, I don't see how I can pass up on the book.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
I thought it was great interview. I will be at Barnes and Noble early tomorrow morning hoping to snag a copy of the biography.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
The third segment is rather interesting, too.

The first two segments are about SJ. I also found the feature about autistic kids and iPads interesting and inspiring.

They featured the iPad app Proloquo2go. It's very expensive, but clearly has a huge positive impact for certain autistic children. Watching the kid with the grin on his face using the iPad was a real trip.

It kinda sets things in perspective. We like the device because of its smooth response; that same smooth and consistent response may be part of the key that engages those children.

The segment is very clear: iPads work with some kids and not others. But it portrays the device as truly magical for many. Apple themselves couldn't have written a better segment promoting the device to this population.

friends1stu2

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
How the Mac Saved Me From Getting Eaten By Shark

How the Mac+ Saved Me From Getting Eaten By Sharks

Today marks one week since Steve Jobs died. I’ve had a chance to reflect back on what this man meant to our country and to me. My Apple story…

It was August, 1986, and I had just resigned from my job as a precious metals broker and decided to start my own company. I needed to communicate with my potential customers, so I had to have a way to produce and mail hundreds of letters every week. I wanted to personalize each of them—and I didn’t have a clue as to how I would do that.

As a young man, just one year younger than Jobs himself, I grew up on an IBM Selectric typewriter, so that was the only thing I knew that could produce letters. I knew the newer electric typewriters had memory, so you could compose your work “on screen” making any corrections needed before committing to paper. This sounded like it was just what I needed, so off I went in search of the new electric typewriter.

I quickly realized that in late 1986, the electric typewriter, with memory or not, was destined for extinction. In its place was a new type of machine, one I was completely ignorant of––the computer. Everywhere I went I was told the same thing, “Writing, mail merge, printing,,, you need a computer.” And each time, I would refuse, stating that I didn’t know anything about computers and didn’t particularly want to know anything about them. In fact, they scared me. I would be happy if I were to get through life without ever knowing anything about them.

That idea quickly went out the window. It soon became clear that I needed a computer. But what kind, how to set it up, how to use it,,, the questions seemed to never end. I needed advice. So I called a good friend, and he suggested I call another friend of his, a middle manager at AT&T. If anybody knew the answers to my questions, it would be this guy.

Delighted that I could talk to such a knowledgeable expert in the field, I immediately placed a call. Mr. AT&T wasn’t in, so I left a message. Then I grabbed my yellow pages and found some local computers stores.

I knew enough about computers to know that there were two basic players in the business, Apple and the IBM compatibles, or PC’s as they were called. And any one of a number of companies provided these PC’s.

I quickly located two computer stores, one Apple and one PC, right across the street from each other. So it was early one afternoon in late August, 1986, that I jumped in my car and drove first to the local Apple store to learn about computers. The Radio Shack across the street was to be my second stop. I never made it.

I walked into the Apple store and was greeted by a fellow who asked me what I was interested in. I told him I had no idea, but I wanted to compose, personalize, and print hundreds of letters every week. He deftly said, “No problem. Let me show you the Mac Plus computer. It’s brand new and I think it will do just what you need it to do.”

He took to the back wall where 3 or 4 rectangular boxes with small TV screens flashed logos of an apple and small smiley faces. He explained things like word processors, data bases, memory, and hard drives. He explained what a mouse was and how to open documents. Later he explained how to create a new document by clicking on a “pull down window” and selecting the size, font, and font size to be used (I didn’t even know what “font” meant until he explained it). Finally, he explained how to merge my database with my letter composition with another pull down window, and how to print with another pull down window click.

Man, I was impressed! Exactly what I needed to do, and simple enough even I could do it. Frankly, even though a better computer might exist across the street, I had found exactly what I needed. I was sold. I wrote out a check and loaded the Macintosh Plus (Mac Plus), printer, and external hard drive into my car. Delighted that my fear of computers had been totally unfounded, I carried my new gear up to my home office and noticed a message on my answering machine.

It was the AT&T expert I had left a message with earlier in the day. I was eager to call him back and tell him about my new purchase.

“Take it back,” was the first thing he said after I told him about my purchase. “The whole world will belong to IBM compatibles,” he said. I hadn’t yet opened the boxes so I could take them back. He told me the PC’s could do everything the Mac Plus could do, and that Apple would probably be out of business soon anyway. He convinced me. I loaded up the boxes and drove them back to the Apple store. The salesman was understanding but disappointed. I told him that I needed a PC and was going to look at the new TRS-80 across the street at the Radio Shack. He had to know I’d be back…

Ever look back on an experience and realize then how close you came to disaster? Almost eaten by sharks? That late August day was one of those, but I didn’t know it as I opened the door to the Radio Shack.

There was “Bob.” I told Bob the same story I told the Apple sales guy earlier in the day. Same reaction. “No problem. I’ve got just the thing. A brand new TRS-80.”

It was big. This thing was twice the size of the Mac Plus, and it wasn’t very friendly. No smiley faces here. But not to worry I thought as I sat down under Bob’s tutelage. Open a new document? No problem. Simply type “control/O/backslash/backslash/shift/D,” or some such sequence. I was dumbfounded. I said, “Bob, no, I just want to open a new document.” “That’s how you do it,” he said. I couldn’t believe it. Did this guy really know computers I wondered?

It continued. More archaic keyboard commands for anything you wanted to do. Change the size of your document. Change font or font size. Open the database. What were these people thinking? Who in the world could or would learn this stuff just to type a letter?

The end came nearly an hour later, when I asked Bob how to merge my names in the database to my new letter. He asked to sit at the computer to show me. It was like trying to fly an airliner. I didn’t have a clue. More importantly, I didn’t think I’d ever have a clue.

I thanked Bob and left. I had seen the future. It wasn’t here. I was going to go back across the street and get it.

It was just before closing time when I re-loaded the Mac Plus in to my car for the second time that day. I’ve used dozens of Macs since that day, and I’m composing this letter on a fabulous 27” iMac (just wish it had a matte screen). I am “all things Apple” because Apple took a scary concept and made a machine that was friendly and easy for millions of people to use.

To this day I wonder if all those people using PC’s ever knew what Mac users were doing while they were living in the computer “stone age.”

Ken Hampshire

Last edited by a moderator:

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
“Take it back,” was the first thing he said after I told him about my purchase. “The whole world will belong to IBM compatibles,” he said.
Skip forward ten years, and you can see how right he was.

Skip forward fifteen more, and things get murky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.