Wanna be disgusted?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Sep 23, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Check out the comments in this thread.

First, it's disgusting that MDN lets this type of crap go on unmoderated. Second, I think most of the posters are serious.

Pretty much made me take MDN out of my bookmarks.

One fine excerpt:

We have such a long way to go, still.

2. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Those comments are pretty stupid, small minded, and disgusting, but they're hardly surprising.

And yeah, WTF are the mods doing on their boards...?

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Anti-Discrimination in the workplace here is federally legislated so saying a company is number one in not discriminating against workers means nothing to me.

But yeah, pretty disgraceful stuff.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's just idiotic - there isn't even a way to report a post as far as I could see.

Bleh

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Had no idea what the hell you were talking about until I scrolled down to read the replies to the story. It looks like only a bunch of schoolkids post there. Unfortunate that they don't moderate their site. It is embarrassing.

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, I didn't like the site much to begin with because it is just loaded with ads - even in the text. It's just ridiculous.

But letting discussions like that go on pretty much sealed the deal for me - too bad, they have some interesting news sometimes.

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

How ironic I just happened to watch this gay bashing video that was sent to me just seconds before seeing this thread.

It is very upsetting to read that, but not surprising.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Well honestly, if those boards have no rules governing contents of posts there then he has any right to voice his opinion on matters, no matter how objectionable it may be

Just because it may be wrong doesnt mean he can't

Then again if there are rules against this, then by all means the thread should be closed with him banned

9. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Even though I don't think that homosexuality is right (according to my religion, Christianity), the majority of those comments deserve to be deleted.

For the most part, comments should not be moderated, but this string of comments on MDN is terrible. I never regularly read MDN, and this takes it out of my consideration. I don't feel like scrolling through comments to be bukkaked with homophobic stupidity.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The mod should at least delete some of the name calling. Everyone has a right to say what they want and feel whatever but they need some structure to that board.

Bless

11. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It's also a matter of how MDN is set up. It's not moderated, and you don't need to create an account to post comments. Without changing the set up, there's no way they could ban posters.

13. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

FWIW, i do believe that MDN should do whatever they want.

I just think, no - I know it makes me not want to visit that site.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Free speech is a great thing. You can say almost whatever you want and the government can't do a thing about it. But there is also the responsibility part. The part everyone seems to forget about. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater and cause a riot if there is no fire. You can make something up about someone and tell everyone in some public format like TV or print, but they can sue you. Or worse if you do something like release a trade secret or classified material that has nothing to do with protecting the public interest. There are also things such as privacy and decency laws, but those are harder to define. Private organization have to obey most of the same laws as government, but they also have the right to moderate things as they see fit. To have their own rules, or lack thereof. Sometimes they allow people to be as terrible as they want to, whether it be to lack censorship of any kind, or just out of laziness.

So yeah, people have a right to say stuff like this, private organizations can ignore it or moderate it however they see fit. But they also have the responsibility to censor themselves for the matter of public decency. And we can accept or ignore those who do. We all have our views, they can be expressed however we feel fit to do so, but to say such horrible things just because they can hide behind the anonymousness of the net is reprehensible. It's sickening how people can say such things out of fear or ignorance or whatever, doesn't really matter why. As a society, it is our responsibility to condemn such things so they are kept where they belong, out of public discourse. Like racism or pedophilia should be. If you don't like homosexuality, you don't have to be gay. But for those who are, they should be free to be so. And to be open about it without fear of those who do not understand. The rest of us don't care, because it has nothing to do with us. That is freedom, because you're rights end where mine begins.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I guess that dump **** doesn't know first AIDS death was in early 1900', they couldn't tell the cause at that time, but the blood sample was kept untill AIDS is formally understand, thanks to the rich gay community, you would never seen another medical miracle like this, AIDS treatment, being developed into today's stage(prolong life 20 years or more), in just 20 years.
    Stupidity is simply rooted in ignorance, its all american education system's fault.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't wish to minimize the raw, unfiltered ignorance of some of the posters in that topic, but their hatred doesn't extend only to the gay community. Try reading an unmoderated political site, and you'll see equally retarded comments about Hillary Clinton, liberals, intellectuals, etc. These are sad, sad people...full of fear and hatred at a world they are ill-equipped to understand. They are scared of homosexuals, intelligent women, the poor, non-Christians, and basically everybody else not like themselves. And that fear manifests itself as suspicion and hostility.

They are pathetic, and truth to tell, I think a lot of them are beyond hope. By the time someone is in their 30s, that ignorance is so ingrained that it is all but impossible to overcome.

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

You know, the funny thing is that I don't care if someone hates me, who I bang, what I do, how I live my life, etc. There are a lot of people I despise and can't stand, but you generally won't see me wanting to bury them alive as if they are a virus that needs to be wiped out.

Anyway, the sad state of America. I think it's California for a few years, and then I'm out of here. I'll watch the show from across an ocean or two.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What's scary is that when not hiding behind some anonymous username, they're out there in real life being normal people. They could be the same people you work with or live near. Out there voting to take away your rights because they don't like what you do even if it has nothing to do with them and they don't follow anything else in that Bible they're hiding behind. But there they are, saying something reprehensible just because they can.

It's would be alright if such a thing was more looked down upon in society, but sadly, the opposite seems to be true.

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That sounds like a guy I knew in high school, Baptist Preacher's son. At least, that's what he sounds like now. He claims to have avoided being gay and 'chosen' the straight side in college. His apparent partner or roommate both love to frequent boards like that. One of them runs the web site StandFirm, which is a site dedicated to dividing a part of the church...or something like that.

I wonder if people like this are angry because their manhood is threatened, of if they're really gay themselves?

20. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

WTF people are so ignorant these days. People need to be more tolerant of others.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You better be careful... it can be difficult to leave once you've been here a while. Depending on the area of course. :p

22. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I was thinking Tulare. Very tolerant area. :p :D

More likely Ventura or Seaside. ;)

23. Queso macrumors G4

Why does it surprise you iGary? It's MDN, for Christ's sake. That place turns into a playground scrap whenever anything political gets mentioned. And it's not like you didn't already know that there were a lot of gay-haters both in the Mac community and the wider world.

Don't stress about it. They don't have a clue.

24. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Not stressed, really. That type of stuff just rears its ugly head every now and then and it reminds me that people suck in general. :D

25. Queso macrumors G4

No argument there. No worries though. The human race is going to wipe itself out before too long.

Bring on the Age of the Ant People!!! :p