wanna see McClellan squrim?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Royal Pineapple, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/04/20060407-3.html

a long, long, long read, but well worth it. i'll highlight a few examples

he starts the Q&A off nicely there
    and lastly

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

All McClellan does is squirm, as far as I'm concerned.

e

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's gonna get worse for McClellan before it gets better. He's going to have to explain exactly when that NIE became declassified at some point... and if it wasn't on 7.18.03, why he said it was.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i see that scott is saying it's all the democrats fault. i wonder if anyone is buying that.

"and we would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling democrats!"

[​IMG]

5. Royal Pineapple thread starter macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i'll bet ari fleischer is celebrating that he got outta that position before the excrament hit the airconditioning

6. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Gotta love the press conferences.
    But I prefer seeing video clips. So I can laugh. Really. Hard. :D

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Man, politics aside - You couldn't pay me enough to have McClellan's job - I pity his position.

I have a feeling this is going to be a head-spinning semantic argument, akin to the definition of "is".

It seems that McClennan seemed to admit that Presidential power of declassification is/was instantaneous later in the round of questions:
    - so it would seem that the Administration is probably going to say it was declassified immediately and released officially 10 or so days later, blaming this all on semantic error.

Of course, Bush's comments regarding his displeasure for ALL leaks, not just classified ones, leaves him looking pretty hypocritical when he himself leaks. Classic. Again, however, this will probably be buried in semantics, with it being a "disclosure" and not a "leak" in this instance.

If all those in punditry-land weren't so right-leaning, Bush would be doomed. As it stands, I just don't know - perhaps they will be able to ride it out.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm still confused. Are they saying now that Bush declassified the info before it was released? If that was true, why the secrecy up until now that this was done if it exonerates them? Though, even if they did, why declassify it? If they didn't, why say they did? Doesn't that make it look worse and bring in a whole new set of questions? As usual, this doesn't make any sense whatsoever either way. I think they need someone new to make better excuses. But then, if they brought in new people, this wouldn't be such a problem.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that seems to be the gist of it. perhaps even that bush revealing it automagically declassifies it, making it impossible for him to reveal classified information. neat, huh?

your questions about all interim secrecy, of course, reveal the hypocrisy of it all.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Darn, I was hoping I was wrong and just misunderstood. :( I guess I do understand it. But it still doesn't really make any sense. Confused? :confused: Me too.

11. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

The analogy I'm using to describe this whole ordeal to my less politically aware friends is:

Imagine my brother (who is SF) is on a covert mission in Iran trying to see just what they are up to. Somebody in the White House finds out I made t-shirts making fun of all the goons in this administration.

So....Bush calls Mohammad Khatami and tells him, "Look, Mo. There are twelve SF guys headed your way to check out what you got goin' on down there. You won't be able to tell them apart from Iranians, so here is where they are hiding out."

How is it different?

How is it EVER ok for that to happen? Somebody needs to call for Dubya's resignation. Not Cheney's, not Rummy's, nobody but his.

Bastard.