wannabe newbie -- rev. a/old 1.8DP G5 a good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BrianBoru, Jul 15, 2004.

1. BrianBoru macrumors newbie

Hello all...

After months of heated debate (laptop vs desktop....) I am finally ready to leave my old Dell laptop behind, and head for the green/blue pastures of Apple. I am really excited to make the switch.

The university bookstore has one or two of the rev. a 1.8DP G5 left at $1649 (+8.8% local sales tax) versus $1799 (+8.8 local sales tax) for the rev. b 1.8DP on the Apple site with an education discount.
    As I am a university student, getting a good value on such a large purchase is important to me, and the rev. a 1.8DP seems to clearly be a better buy with its larger hdd, more ram, pci-x etc.. ( I can upgrade the superdrive later if it is not fast enough)
    But, lots of time spent researching/perusing forums such as these has given me the impression that the rev. a/"old" G5 powermacs are somewhat prone to annoyances such as 'chirps', freezes and failures. I would like my first Mac experience to be as wonderful as possible, but again - getting a good value is also important.

Assuage my fears about the rev. a 1.8DP G5 and tell me to jump on (what seems to be) a good deal.

or...

Persuade me that the new rev. b 1.8DP G5 (or something else) is actually a better buy.

Thanks!
    (I am somewhat computer savvy. I am hoping to do some graphic design work, as well as explore audio-visual editing with my new Mac....)

2. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

if you tell us what you will be using it for then that would be a great help for advice givers.....

in depth i mean

3. w00tmaster macrumors regular

The rev A is a MUCH better buy, it has by default a larger hard drive and more memory, and it has 8 memory slots instead of 4 and has pci-x slots. The warranty is the same on both, and you can extend it to 3 years by buying applecare anytme in the first year you own it.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And for the price that you can get it for is nothing to sneeze at. Many feel that the rev. A is the better value. You would have to go to the 2.0 rev. B to get the same hardware capabilities (save the processor speed of course).