Want a really good game to play? Check out Marathon.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chone, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Everyone seems to be looking for something to play and there are awesome games which people never get to play for a variety of reasons, one of this games is Marathon, released exclusively for the Mac (hence why it is a fairly unknown game) by Bungie Software (yes they did Halo and Halo is like a spiritual succesor to Marathon) when they were a fairly small company and independent (as in, not owned by MS). The Marathon games were released in 1994, 1995 and 1996 for the final installment, yes they are old but damn are they fun, makes you glad you had a Mac during these times, see with games like Marathon being a Mac gamer actually had sense during that time.

Now why do I like this game so much? Simply because I played it back then and now I keep playing it to this day, revisiting the awesome story and laughing my friggin guts out playing friends in netplay (Marathon is, hands down, my favorite LAN FPS of all time and I've played modern games mind you, including Halo) there is something about netplay that just makes Marathon such a fun game, maybe its the pace of the matches and the complete carnage, I don't know how to explain it but playing Marathon on a LAN always guarantees a good time and a whole barrel of laughs but I do have to admit, many of this is for the nostalgia factor out of playing the game when it was fresh & new.

But if you are bored, waiting for something else and just want to play something good, the single player in Marathon is definitely worth it, with 88 levels to play across the trilogy and a mind twisting storyline then go ahead, you'll probably be turned off to play a game released 12 years ago, but the release of engines like Aleph One make playing the game on newer OSes (like OSX and Windows XP) possible AND enhances the graphics so I say go ahead and play... somewhere in the heavens... they are waiting...
    Aleph One (Windows XP, OSX & Linux) + All Marathon Games + Enhancement packs + 3rd party scenarios (I reccomend evil)

In my eyes, the greatest game Bungie has ever made (and yes I've played the Halo series a lot) and worth the look of anyone who likes FPS and a good story as well as just good games in general.

I'm bored and I thought people would like to try a new game, I mean its free and was a killer app back in the day so give it a shot, I almost guarantee you'll like it at least a little bit if you give it a shot, especially if you are a Halo fan (and if you have a close eye, you will notice the connections between Halo and Marathon).
  2. jepjepjep macrumors member

Aug 16, 2004
    Marathon = great fun

I agree with you completely Chone. Marathon has to be one of the most underappreciated gaming franchises ever (outside of the mac circle). It's simply awesome.

All you gamers, go get it now! You have no excuse, it's free.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Marathon was good for its day but its day is long gone. Halflife2 rules plus you need what classic to run it? heck with that .
  4. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I gave this a go once and really didn't get into it. Didn't like the art direction (everything seemed tall and thin?) and somehow I got lost with the controls. I skipped it.

Everyone's looking for a game? I found one - I just don't have a Wii yet :D
  5. SamMiller0 macrumors member

Aug 17, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Aleph One runs fine in Mac OS X.
  6. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    Marathon was a great game at the time. It came out around the same time as Doom (a little after, actually) but had much better graphics and performance. Of course, being Mac-only, very few people played it. But it laid the foundation for what we expect in Bungie games: decent storyline, great physics, and awesome multiplayer. The later games kind of fell behind the times though, since they continued to use the same raycasting engine, whereas id had released Quake and were doing a full, polygonal engine. Duke Nukem also came out some time in there, and although the graphics weren't as good as Quake, it had a lot more style and some really cool weapons that made multiplayer fun.

In today's world though, Marathon just isn't fun for me anymore. For one thing, I never thought that the storyline was *that* good. The way it's revealed throughout the series is clever...the "storytellers" themselves start to get crazy and unreliable, and I really like that. But at it's heart, it's still the same "Aliens trying to kill humans at some point in the distant future" storyline, with the same "running & pushing buttons to open doors" gameplay objectives.

Halo and Halo 2 offer the same degree of story telling, only in a modern engine with much better graphics and physics. As an added bonus, the missions are noticeably deeper. There are some real objectives to accomplish. Disappointingly, the storyline is still set in space with human killing alien monsters. But the multiplayer has evolved to get better and better, and that's really what has kept me playing those games.

I also hope that Halo Wars turns out to be the Myth to Halo's Marathon. It would be great to see that style of game resurrected on a nice platform like the 360/XBL.
  7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005

I can play Marathon once again. This game ran at super high fps on my 94 mac this was super old. When I bumped it up to 128 megs of ram, .... that was the day.

I can't wait to get home and download thiis freakin' beauty! Thanks for posting this! :eek:

EDIT: Who here has installed the game? It says at the bottom of the page that you need a serial number.... Is this true? Does anybody have one?
  8. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    Yea me and my mate still play Marathon online a couple of times a week. Great fun, I can remember playing Marathon at Primary School on white Performas.
  9. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
  10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
    Has anybody got Rubicon to work?

I've done everything I'm supposed to but I don't start the right point, some random level, and nothing but my mouse is registered.... :(