Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
I really want an Ipod, but I cannot decided for anything. There are two reasons why I want an Ipod, to transfer files, and to have a music player I can run and exercise with.

I have a lot of data that I need to transfer around, and I do not think that a 4gig Ipod will be enough for me. I COULD manage it, but it would be tight. With a mini though I could run, and take it to the gym- and work out without worrying about it. I really cannot exercise without music, cause its unbearably boring to do so.

On the otherhand, a 20 gig ipod would give me plenty of space to transfer files, and listen to music, but could i exercise comfortably with it?

I looked into other music players that are made to exercise with but they dont have the space, and they arent apple. hehe i want to stick to the apple Ipod so either the 20 and a mini silver are my options.

So basically it somes down to:

Can you exercise with a 20 gig Ipod? Comfortably?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Makyz said:
Can you exercise with a 20 gig Ipod? Comfortably?

Depends how fit you are? Running your way through 5000 songs might be tough!

I run with my 20G for 30 to 40 minutes. I hold it in my hand rather than in a pocket or clipped on a belt, I start it playing while doing warm-ups and it's always been fine. No skips or jumps.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
i use my 15 gig to work out, though to be fair i don't really run very much. and when i do it's on the treadmill (so i can put the ipod on part of the machine).

the ipod is not really big enough to get in the way, and depending on where you clipped it while running, the shock protection might not even be an issue.

jigglyjon

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
baby duck monge said:
i use my 15 gig to work out, though to be fair i don't really run very much. and when i do it's on the treadmill (so i can put the ipod on part of the machine).

the ipod is not really big enough to get in the way, and depending on where you clipped it while running, the shock protection might not even be an issue.
i too run with my 20 gigger..and its fine..i hold it like the other person said and it doesnt slow me down at all...i say get the bigger capacity and you wont regret it... over time you accumulate more music and it would be a pain to be "iPod managing" all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.