Want faster, better web browsing? OpenDNS rocks! (and it's free)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Flowbee, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

(I'm not affiliated with OpenDNS in any way, other than as a happy customer.)

I've seen mentions of OpenDNS pop up in these forums from time to time, but never really investigated until I read this post on Alex King's blog.

Curiosity got the best of me, and within a few minutes I was up and running with OpenDNS. First off, it's totally free. Setup was simple, just replace your current DNS settings with theirs. Let me tell you, things are loading soooo much faster now. You really notice the difference on pages like YouTube and MySpace (not that any of you ever visit MySpace, right?).

The coolest feature is the automatic correction of domain typos. Accidentally type in macrumors.xom and it resolves to macrumors.com.

Their privacy policy is available online, and though they generally collect non-personally identifiable information you should give it a read. They make money by serving ad listings on page requests that don't resolve (ie. if there's no website at the address you type in).

OpenDNS is based in the US and is also up and running in London, so Europeans should be able to take advantage of the service too. Looks like they're planning an expansion into Asia next.

If you're unhappy with your connection speed, you may want to give this a try. (It's easy enough to go back to your old DNS settings if you don't like it)

2. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

All my dns requests are cached anyway. So after the first time I visit a site I don't need to use my an external dns. Saves me alot of time requesting resolutions on my puny dialup.

Corrections? Well meh, I don't have that problem touch typing on my dvorak layout. I am trying to type this on QWERTY and it is so annoying, I haven't used it for ages....

Anyway, overall I can't be bothered using openDNS. I am happy with my current setup.

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I'm actually having a bit of trouble. I went to Network from System Preferences but when I click on configure, it reverts back to my normal settings.