want huge (relatively cheap) crt

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by benbondu, Jul 21, 2004.

1. benbondu macrumors regular

i've got a 12" powerbook and am getting a desire to see more screen when i'm at home. specifically being able to see lots of sharp text is the ultimate goal, beautiful color in photos would also be expected if a sizeable sum of money was parted with. unfortunately the new apple lcds are a bit out of my price range. i considered another brand 17" lcd but couldn't find anything really exciting especially since my resolution wouldn't go up that much (1024 to 1280?) so now i'm considering a crt.

i can get a 21" trinitron for around $250 refurbished. (the ibm p260 or p275 looks pretty solid- though i don't exactly know the difference between them) can anyone recommend such a move, or warn against it? brands to go with or avoid? is it reasonable to expect good performance from a refurb? (bright, sharp picture) i'm looking to get some good use out of it for at least a year. i figure $250 is just low enough to not be too upset if the picture quality goes down after 12-24 months. after a year i may have enough money to go lcd.

are there any compatibilty issues i should be aware of? my pb can go vga and dvi (some of the huge crts have dvi connections- side note, anyone know why?) i would guess i could probably get 1600x1200 without too many problems from any monitor.

one last question... do the big crt's scale down to the low resolutions well? (in case i want to break out the old-school myst games) thanks for any help/answers/advice you can give.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yes, crt's actually do scale down (unlike lcds) which means i cant do 800x600 on my laptop...but, in terms of brand, i'd recommend dell, strangely enough. the one thing they do well is monitors. their 1600x1200 19" crt is only 280 new. samsung is good too and dell.com sells a samsung 19" crt 1600x1200 for 168 :eek: if you're looking for really crisp and bright i'd skip lcd's altogether, except to get a comparable size/resolution youre lookin at at least a grand. in a couple weeks im gettin a refurb ibm 19" for my computer if they still have 'em in stock at this discount computer store down the street...only like 90 bucks

3. Nspace macrumors regular

I have nothing but good things to say about my Viewsonic G90f CRT. I run it at 75 Hz @ 1600 x 1200 and it works awesome. It is only about 235 USD)Never had any problems with it, colour is great, and everything is really crisp and sharp.

So I would definately recommend Viewsonic monitors.

4. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I have had very good experience with View Sonic. They seem to be very reliable and have good color, and specs.

5. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

Hmmm. Thats intresting, I cannont seem to view the viewsonic website at http://www.viewsonic.com/ is any one else having this problem?

6. budaapple macrumors regular

viewsonic

I have the above mentioned viewsonic monitor for sale. $100 bucks plus shipping and its yours. If interested email me at p1vue@yahoo.com
    Thanks

7. benbondu thread starter macrumors regular

purchase complete

thanks y'all. After a bit more research I ended up going with a refurb Mitsu Diamond Pro 2040u (20" viewable). Not the cheapest available but hopefully the increased quality will be worth it. I had a 17" Sony a few years back so I'm pretty much sold on the Trinitron technology. I guess Diamondtron is based on it or at least comparable. Anyway, I should find out in a week or two how the refurb is looking and just how good a decision it was. The thought of nearly quadrupling my desktop has me very excited.