Want Macs everywhere? Write your congressperson

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by gopher, Aug 9, 2002.

1. gopher macrumors 65816

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Dear Congress Person:
    Please consider giving me a mac to develop my ****ty tiny third world country (very soon comunist too), so we do not have to migrate to your country any more and live ilegally from your taxes as the rest of the mexicans and cubans in Florida.
    So, to avoid all this and more, please, please, consider giving me a mac with 1.5Gb of ram at list and a 23" flat panel display for me to fell furfill for the rest six months playing solitary.

Thank you very much.

Manuel Yan Mauricio Emilio Mujica Ortencio Ramirez Yes (mymemory).
    Caracas, Venezuela:)

3. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I think its a solid decision

Now, if we could only form a non-profit to do this, maybe get some support from Apple. I can't think what service this nonprofit would be providing, though. A World Free of MS?

4. Liamcow macrumors member

maybe i'll sell my mac and start a new country, then buy it back:D

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Ever see this?

This is from Stevie himself at the Smithsonian Oral History site-sorry, but it's long:

We saw the rate at which this was happening and the rate at which the school bureaucracies were deciding to buy a computer for the school and it was real slow. We realized that a whole generation of kids was going to go through the school before they even got their first computer so we thought the kids can't wait. We wanted to donate a computer to every school in America. It turns out that there are about a hundred thousand schools in America, about ten thousand high schools, about ninety thousand K through 8. We couldn't afford that as a company. But we studied the law and it turned out that there was a law already on the books, a national law that said that if you donated a piece of scientific instrumentation or computer to a university for educational and research purposes you can take an extra tax deduction. That basically means you don't make any money, you loose some but you don't loose too much. You loose about ten percent. We thought that if we could apply that law, enhance it a little bit to extend it down to Kthrough 8 and remove the research requirements so it was just educational, then we could give a hundred thousand computers away, one to each school in America and it would cost our company ten million dollars which was a lot of money to us at that time but it was less than a hundred million dollars if we didn't have that. We decided that we were willing to do that.

It was one of the most incredible things I've ever done. We found our local representative, Pete Stark over in East Bay and Pete and a few of us sat down an we wrote a bill. We literally drafted a bill to make these changes. We said "If this law changes we will donate a hundred thousand computers at a cost of ten million dollars to us." We called it "the kids can't wait bill". Pete Stark introduced it in the House and Senator Danforth introduced it in the Senate and I refused to hire any lobbyists and I went back to Washington myself and I actually walked the halls of Congress for about two weeks, which was the most incredible thing. I met probably two-thirds of the House and over half of the Senate myself and sat down and talked with them.

It was very interesting. I found that the House Members are routinely less intelligent than the Senate and they were much more kneejerk to their constituencies--which I found initially quite offensive but came to understand later to be a really good idea. Maybe that's what the framers wanted. They weren't supposed to think too much, they were supposed to represent. The Senators are supposed to think a little more. The Bill passed the House with the largest favorable majority of any tax bill in the history of this country. What happened was it was in during Carter's lame duck session and Bob Dole who was then Speaker of the House killed it. He would not bring it to the floor and we ran out of time. We would have had to have started the process over in the next year and I gave up.

Wish they'd try again!

Gus