Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I want to upgrade the RAM on my MacBook from 512MB to 2GB so that it will run a lot faster and smoother. I've never installed RAM on a computer and I'm not very tech savvy but I heard that process is very easy and I'll probably get someone to do it for me. Anyway, I heard that it's possible for me to bring my Macbook into an Apple store and purchase 1GB of RAM for $100 and they will install it for me. Is this true? Or would it be better for me to buy a 2GB kit of RAM from an online retail for a better choice than Apple's charging? What sites would you guys recommend? What should I do? Help me! Thanks.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
The ram is stupid easy to upgrade in the Macbooks.

I buy ram from Crucial Memory, they make it stupid easy (just select you comp from the dropdowns. And their shipping is stupid fast.

Crucial isn't necessarily the cheapest online, but I find them to be the easiest and hassle free.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
jason2811 said:
I want to upgrade the RAM on my MacBook from 512MB to 2GB so that it will run a lot faster and smoother. I've never installed RAM on a computer and I'm not very tech savvy but I heard that process is very easy and I'll probably get someone to do it for me. Anyway, I heard that it's possible for me to bring my Macbook into an Apple store and purchase 1GB of RAM for $100 and they will install it for me. Is this true? Or would it be better for me to buy a 2GB kit of RAM from an online retail for a better choice than Apple's charging? What sites would you guys recommend? What should I do? Help me! Thanks.

I bought a 2GB MacBook RAM Upgrade Kit from OWC for around $220. The installation is very easy (you only need a small philips screwdriver), however you REALLY have to push the RAM in REALLY hard ALL THE WAY (even if it feels like its gonna break). Apple RAM is WAY TOO overpriced. There are videos online that show you how to install RAM in your MacBook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
How do I know that the RAM that I put in won't be dead on arrival or won't mess up my computer? Can I purchase the RAM and bring it into a computer store that works with macs and have them install it for me because I'm scared of doing it improperly. Is it true that Apple can upgrade my MacBook to 1GB RAM for $100 if I bring it in to them?

jeshepard

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
I also just added 2GB from OWC last night and it was really easy. 3 screws and a couple minutes and that was it. I also replaced the HD with a Seagate 100GB 7200 and now the thing really flies. The only problem was having to wait for OSX to install on the new HD so I could play with it.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
1 GB of RAM at an apple store is $200, not $100. The apple store online says $100. The RAM on the MB is very easy to upgrade, but I had apple do it for me. I'm not at that level yet :eek:

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Chances of your RAM being DOA is slim. I have been using OWC for my past PowerBook RAM upgrades and have never had problems.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
It`s really easy to DIY. Just make sure you have the right screwdriver for the job. Those screws are really small and wont open with anything else but the smallestand thinnest tool.

Otherwise it`s way too easy. I did it without any problems. And that was the first time I actually opened a PC/Mac myself.

Also take out the HDD when you are changing the RAM. just for fun though. Not really required at all. But it`ll give you an idea that the HDD is even easier to replace than the RAM.

Really. Give it try. If you have two hands with atleast two thumbs and 6 fingers, a srewdriver and the ability to touch your lips with your thumbs, you can definitely do this bit too.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2006
if I buy the RAM from a third-party supplier can I bring it into an Apple store and have them install it for me?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
jason2811 said:
if I buy the RAM from a third-party supplier can I bring it into an Apple store and have them install it for me?

Very highly unlikely. But give it a try if you wish. If they see you with a cheap RAM, they might scare you by saying that it`ll cause kernel panics, wont be compatible etc. But if you know someone in the store, or you`ve bought the MB from that store only, they might do this small favor for you.

Or dont you have any friend or someone who can comeover on a sunday and help you with this? It`s just as easy as changing the cartridge of the old ATARI video game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.