Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
hey everyone

Whats a good, reliable free email serivce that will work with Mail (apple program)

I have paid AOL and got rid of it when I got high speed internet. Then I used hotmail, but I'm getting tired of it- doesn't always work right and I though now that I have a mac, why deal with windows more than I have to? So today I set up a Yahoo! acount but then I realized after an hour of working with Mail + Yahoo that the free e-mail accounts do not have the option of syncing to a POP3 account.

Any reccomendations??

~EJBasile

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
clayjohanson said:
Gmail offers POP3 access.

So I hear but I don't know how I sign up because its not offered to the public yet. Only some people can use it.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
gmail is awesome, and we have a whole "pay it forward gmail" thread or some such, so if clay or i dont give you an invite (yes that is an offer) just head over there

verozov

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2005
Columbia, SC
actually how do you set up mail with gmail? i'd really like to know...

if you have gmail, there's also an awesome program called Gmailstatus that shows you how many (if any) new messages you have, and updates on a regular basis (15 min or w/e)... also has a hotkey (mine is F1) that automatically brings up your account in safari...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
to figure out how to set up GMail with Mail, go to GMail's account settings, and under the POP3 access area there is a link to a guide that shows how to set up Mail and GMail

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
clearlynuts said:
Actually, gmail is public now. Just go to google.com. The registration link is sitting right there

it doesnt show up everytime you go to google.com, it maybe a bit more public, but its still not totally open the public, you either need and invite, or to happen and hope to chance that the link appears when you go to google.com

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
Yeah gmail is the way to go. Just posted on the Google Gmail invites on my blog earlier today. Drop me a line if you need an invite. I'd be happy to distribute them to anyone who wants one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.