Want new e-mail account

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Mar 14, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

hey everyone

Whats a good, reliable free email serivce that will work with Mail (apple program)

I have paid AOL and got rid of it when I got high speed internet. Then I used hotmail, but I'm getting tired of it- doesn't always work right and I though now that I have a mac, why deal with windows more than I have to? So today I set up a Yahoo! acount but then I realized after an hour of working with Mail + Yahoo that the free e-mail accounts do not have the option of syncing to a POP3 account.

Any reccomendations??

~EJBasile

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

3. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

So I hear but I don't know how I sign up because its not offered to the public yet. Only some people can use it.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send ya an invite.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

gmail is awesome, and we have a whole "pay it forward gmail" thread or some such, so if clay or i dont give you an invite (yes that is an offer) just head over there

6. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

yah gmail is awesome... especially the whole "almost no ads" thing... and email filters...

7. nosser macrumors regular

yup I like it too. I have 50 invites left to so if anyone wants one pm me.

8. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

how do you set up mail with gmail?

edit: nevermind, figured it out. gmail rocks!

9. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

actually how do you set up mail with gmail? i'd really like to know...

if you have gmail, there's also an awesome program called Gmailstatus that shows you how many (if any) new messages you have, and updates on a regular basis (15 min or w/e)... also has a hotkey (mine is F1) that automatically brings up your account in safari...

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

to figure out how to set up GMail with Mail, go to GMail's account settings, and under the POP3 access area there is a link to a guide that shows how to set up Mail and GMail

11. clearlynuts macrumors newbie

Actually, gmail is public now. Just go to google.com. The registration link is sitting right there

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it doesnt show up everytime you go to google.com, it maybe a bit more public, but its still not totally open the public, you either need and invite, or to happen and hope to chance that the link appears when you go to google.com

13. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

Yeah gmail is the way to go. Just posted on the Google Gmail invites on my blog earlier today. Drop me a line if you need an invite. I'd be happy to distribute them to anyone who wants one.