Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bugn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Pacific NW
As of now I use the little round speakers that came with my flat screen imac and an hk isub. But to me the sound is just alright. Most of the time turned all the way up is sufficient but other times I wish it could get louder.
Sooooo I was over at the apple website and was reading reviews but they are so mixed. Price is no object... I want a very good thumping loud speaker system here in the office.... Any suggestions?

TIA! :)
~Jackie~

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
If you are looking for surround sound speakers, these speakers from SVSound are probably among the very best 5.1 speakers that you can get for $1000, especially for home theater applications. You could also spend $225 for a 2 channel setup. Keep in mind, you'll still need a receiver/amplifier with the SVSound package. Harmon/Kardon has some great refurb deals on their web site on receivers.

I own one of their subs (25-49PC) and it is simply amazing. You can search the web to find a few early reviews of the speakers and lots of reviews on the PB10-ISD sub included in the package.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I've had these for about 2 years and they work fine for me:

http://www.itnetcentral.com/computerworld/article.asp?id=13625&info=Computerworld&leveli=0

My only beef is with the size. The speakers are almost as tall as my 20" cinema display, but they do match the aluminum. There are 5 LEDs representing the volume, and I usually have mine set at 1 or 2 at the very most, so they're pretty loud and they sound good to me. They should be less than $200 now, too.

Fishes,
narco.

Toad816

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2006
Just find a great home theatre or stereo system, and hook ur mac through the aux ports with RCA to headphone jacks. I have mine hooked into a stereo system, listening to Ray Charles and I could blast this thing if I wanted to.

Jason Bourne

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2005
narco said:
I've had these for about 2 years and they work fine for me:

http://www.itnetcentral.com/computerworld/article.asp?id=13625&info=Computerworld&leveli=0

My only beef is with the size. The speakers are almost as tall as my 20" cinema display, but they do match the aluminum. There are 5 LEDs representing the volume, and I usually have mine set at 1 or 2 at the very most, so they're pretty loud and they sound good to me. They should be less than $200 now, too.

Fishes,
narco.

Heh - your screen is too small. I have the same speakers and they barely come halfway up my 30" ACD. :D

I agree with the recommendation, though. Very happy with mine. They sound very good for the price and match the aesthetics of my ACD and G5.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
I definitely recommend Altec Lansing. I have a set of the Altec Lansing 2100's and they are small speakers that pack a huge punch. I've only got the sub turned up about 1/4 of the way and it's perfect. I'd say you could pick up a set really cheap now, so even if you didn't like 'em (which I'd say you would) then you wouldn't be out too much money.

My friend has a pair of Logitech 2.1 speakers and they don't sound as good as these. My other friend has the JBL Creature II's and they don't sound nearly as good, either.

Here's a link to an auction for them on eBay, in case you're interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-Lansing-2100-computer-speakers-and-subwoofer_W0QQitemZ8759438567QQcategoryZ41845QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I've had these speakers for probably 3-4 years and have never had a problem with them. Even if you don't want these specific speakers, I recommend Altec Lansing. They seem to make quality products.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Since money is not as issue as you said then i'll advice you to go the amp+speakers route rather than getting ordinary computer speakers.
Not that the quality isn't good but because they are designed to sound good only when you sit directly in front of them. Thats is, don't expect computer speakers to fill the room with sound.
I've seen some nice comp speakers in action like the Logitechs Z-5500 that are loud as hell, but are again designed more for gaming/dvd's rather than music listening, as they color sound a bit too much.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
go to a home entertainment, not a computer store

Bugn said:
As of now I use the little round speakers that came with my flat screen imac and an hk isub. But to me the sound is just alright. Most of the time turned all the way up is sufficient but other times I wish it could get louder.
Sooooo I was over at the apple website and was reading reviews but they are so mixed. Price is no object... I want a very good thumping loud speaker system here in the office.... Any suggestions?

TIA! :)
~Jackie~

Really LOUD and "price is no object".?

If that is what you want don't shop in a "computer store" go to a high end home entertainment retailer. Given enough money you can have a system that will cause the people down the street to call the police due to the "noise" comming out of your house, no joke. I can actually turn up my system and go across the street and it's till realy loud. Needless to say I don't turn it up like that.

I have a pair of 20+ year old Infinity "quantums" see here for a writeup
http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity/QLS.html

What you want is a stereo amp and a pair of speakers none of those "powered speakers can compare.

EDIT:

OK, I just re-read the part about "money is no object and load." A few years ago Aproject I was working on had to contract with "Maryland Sound" (aka "MSI"). These guys fit the bil exactly. Damned expensive and they've got "loud" covered. They are fun to work with too.
See here for details of one system they installed
http://www.marylandsound.com/inauguration2005.htm

I was also at a Pink Floyd concet these guys rigged too. The band rented truckloads of equipment from MSI for the show. Just what you want "loud and price no object" :)

brosef9

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2005
"Really loud" is a tad bit subjective, I have a taste for loud (gotta love it live) music, so the best that I could find for a very decent price was the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. I couldn't/didn't want to justify getting the 5.1 system, and I'm happy that I didn't cause this system rocks. The sub is killer, and the satellites sound great, at high volumes there is little distortion. I got mine for a smidgen over $100 on eBay, but if you go new, I think there about $150, could be wrong though.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Humm, loud, system we use for gigs managed to pump out 138dB at the back of the hall. **sweet**

I used to work in a hi-fi stores for quite a few years, we once had a face out who was the loudest against the PA shop over the road. Our subs ripped them to pieces, however we couldn't cope with their speakers that could do 114dB/W with 5kW behind them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.