want to buy a digital slr few questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by onemacmini, Mar 12, 2006.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

Hi there, i want to buy a digital slr and have a budget of £350. i want to take pictures of sport so it will need to be quick. my uncle has the nikon d70 ( i think) and says its really good but its too expensive.

1. what dslr is good for what i need
    2. what type of lens do i need.
    3. what type of camera
    4. any known kits about ( in the uk) that i can buy to get started.
    5. Any basic info ill need to know

many thanks onemacmini

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Well for your budget, you will likely get a D50 or a Rebel 350 with the kit lens.

You'll have to save for the other stuff.

Canon or Nikon doesn't matter, get a good book on SLR digital photography.

3. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Honestly, That's a pretty low budget for a DSLR. I don't know a ton about DSLRs that cheap, but if you're trying to photograph sports you'll want a very bright lens - F1.8 would be ideal, but probably out of your price range.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

1. Canon and Nikon both make good models
    2. Depends are you going to be close or far from the action. A telephoto lens if far away. Image stabilization if you are twitchy and you won't have a tripod.
    3. Something that can shoot a few frames per second
    4. Canon and Nikon both sell kits
    5. uh, what iGary said: get a good book. I wouldn't recommend a dSLR unless you understand all the settings/terms such as aperture settings, exposure, depth of field, etc.

5. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

D50

i recently upgraded to a dslr, the nikon d50, from what i can tell, it a nice camera. havnt taken a whole lot of action shots yet, but my still nighttime photography has turned out very nice, very good depth of field. I got the 18-55mm kit lense and a 2 gig sd card for less than 700 on newegg.com

6. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Wife and I bought a Canon Rebel XT (goes by a different model I think in the UK). Sweet camera. Bit smaller than the Nikon's so if you like BIG cameras, this one's probably not for you. Paid about $1200 Canadian for the camera + 18 mm -55 mm lens. I think 350 pounds is on the low side; you'll likely need to spend a bit more.

The XT was rated #1 by Macworld for an 8 MP camera, and is consistently in the top few cameras. Basically, you can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon.