Want to buy a iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Patriotsv4, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Patriotsv4 macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2004
    Hi I'm looking to buy an iBook, My main needs are internet and messaging, I will do some image editing but that would just be doing a little chop, adding text and resizing. I was wondering if a 500mhz 256mb iBook would be enough for all of this. I also run a webpage so I would need to use a FTP, also is this fast enough to watch DVDs?

EDIT: Oh and I'm looking for a 12 inch screen
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Should be sufficient although you may want to purchase more RAM if you can.
  3. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    A 500mhz iBook *could* probably do the job for you. But definetly add more RAM.

I have one for sale, by the way if you are intersted. See my post in the classifieds.
  4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It should be up to it. Again, buy a 512MB stick of RAM and max out the RAM at 640MB.

I know a guy who uses one of these as his one and only computer and he edits videos on it. He's only got the stock 128MB too. If you've got some patience it'll be great.

Are these subject to the logic board problem? That would be my biggest concern.
  5. Patriotsv4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2004
    I was set on upgrading the RAM, I just wasn't sure where I should get it, I looked on the Apple Store and it's $200 for a stick of 512mb. I could probably get it but It depends on how much I can sell my PC stuff for. Thanks for your suggestions.
  6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    At 500 MHz, it sounds like you'd be buying a G3 iBook, right? That *might* be a little lightweight for purposes of longevity. Also I'm not sure those earlier iBooks came with DVD drives. I could be wrong though, since I'm not running to check on this.