Want to buy an Apple laptop - help me decide!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vladkor, Jul 24, 2006.

  1. vladkor macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    Hi there. I am in desperate need of a laptop. Life has taken such a turn that I have to be mobile, and a clunky old PeeCee isn't doing it anymore.

    I have a dilema at this point as to what to buy... A new 1.83 Ghz MB or a used 12" PowerBook...

    The reason why I would get the 1.83 Ghz MB is as follows:

    a) I preffer the white casing unlike most people. The fact that all the cables are white, and I have a white iPod, I do not see the sense in spending more money for a color.

    b) I do not require a SuperDrive. If I happed to need to burn DVDs, I can pick up an external Dual-Layer one for like 50$.

    c) I would preffer to spend the extra money on RAM, which will be desperately needed with the integrated graphics.

    The reasons why I would not get the 1.83 Ghz MB is as follows:

    a) The "quirks" as they have been listed. I.E. Mooing, heat, etc.

    b) Intel chips and lack of Universal Binary apps.

    c) The coming of Merom and the eventual boost in processor.


    The reasons I am looking at the 12" PB are as follows:

    a) Smaller footprint

    b) It is used, but comes with 1,256 MB of RAM, iLap cooling station, and InCase carrying case.

    c) $1200 CAD with no taxes.

    The reasons I am hesitant to getting the 12" PB are as follows:

    a) G4 Processor - dying technology

    b) Fairly expensive price - or what do you think?

    c) Just the fact that it is used.

    Please, I am open to any suggestions as to what I should do... Thanks!
     
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #2
    I would definitely go with the 1.83GHz MacBook over the 12" PowerBook G4. The MacBook is just going to be soooo much faster than any PowerPC based portable (on almost all apps) that it just does not make sense to settle for yesterdays technology (the PowerBook G4). :)
     
  3. rdowns Suspended

    rdowns

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    #3
    I think you'd be nuts to go the PB route.

    Your reasons for being hesitant of the MB are incorrect.

    Mooing etc. have been taken care of.

    Plenty of universal apps

    Merom being more powerful- so what. What about the Core Duo vs. the G4?
     
  4. cowinabox302 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    #4
    I agree with the previous and would like to add that you should definitely wait for merom, and all of your pro 1.83 reasons are kickass. very smart choices
     
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #5

    True, the difference between a Core Duo and a Core 2 Duo is going to me much less than the difference between a Core Duo and a PowerPC G4. :)
     
  6. vladkor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    Sooooo..... Should I be waiting for Merom, or get it now and be happy now? Or should I keep raping Apple.com's Bandwidth :D
     
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #7

    I would wait to see what happens at WWDC '06 first. :)
     
  8. vladkor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #8
    I am a slave :D

    Heh. I waited. About 8 hours at work (nightshift). And now, I have a brand new white MacBook :D

    I also lucked out, big time. The store where I bought it, didn't have any 1.83 ghz models in stock, and I mentioned going across the street to pick it up, and they gave me the 2.0 for $1,300 CAD ($150 off). So I am very happy. Now, at some point I will invest some money in RAM, and life will be good.

    As for WWDC '06, whatever they may release, I highly doubt that MacBooks would be affected. They are too similar to MBP's right now as it is, so this might just give Appe enough room to drag people into buying MBP's. And even so, that model would just once again be a Rev.A model, and we all know how Apple does with that :D

    Anyways, I am one happy camper!
     

Share This Page