Want to buy from friend, not sure yet..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Will Curran, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

15" Powerbooks.. is my main topic...

Is there much difference (well other than the obvious)?
    1.25ghz g4 15" Powerbook with 512ram
    1.33ghz g4 15" Powerbook with 512ram
    1.50ghz g4 15 Powerbook with 512ram

My friend is selling his 1.25ghz 15" Powerbook with 80gb hdd for dirt cheap like..
    $1800, well I was going to ask is there really much diffrence between that in the other models? I mean, is the .25ghz or .08ghz a big change, and are there really anymore features?

Also I have another question, what the best way I could buy it from him (he lives in Atlanta, and I live in Phoenix. I want to make this look really solid to my parents so it'd look good. Also.. should I ask him any information/ask him to take pictures of it to make sure it's not messed up physically. The thing is he wants to buy it for a PC laptop.. don't know why he wants to do that.

Also is it worth it you think to buy it from him?

My uses: Photoshop (alot), video editing (alot), web surfing (alot), listening to music (24/7), school projects (alot), chatting (alot) gaming (very little).

edit: sorry everyone gets into the arguement with me. I want a powerbook for portablity, I have a pretty powerful desktop now, and I really want to go mobile especially for classes in college for the future, using it around the house, and other places..

double edit: his specs are:
    15" 1.25ghz, 512mb, 80gb hdd, Combo, 64vram, gotta ask him if it has bt, and ae in it already

Thanks, I know you guys have answered alot of my really stupid questions about Powerbooks, thanks again.

2. JasonL macrumors regular

Well, that's the same PB I have; and even with my edu discount I spent quite a bit more for it 7 months ago. The 1.5 (especially with the 128MB 9700)would probably produce noticably more impressive results with certain apps, but the PB 1.25 still holds its own.

If portability is really important to you then I would say to go with the PB. If not, and you really are serious about Photoshop and video editing then I'd say you could get a decent PM for that price...provided that you have a monitor kicking around already.

I'd certainly look into shipping costs. Remember, you can buy a refurb with free shipping from Apple directly. I'm not sure what they are asking for with these systems, though. If this guy really is your friend I imagine he wouldn't try to screw you. Ask for a few pics, though.

Good luck.

3. efoto macrumors 68030

From what I have read the performance increase from the processor upspeed should not be all that noticable, so I would not worry about that aspect of it. I agree that if this person is your friend then I would hope he wouldn't try to screw you, but still get some pictures and perhaps do a COD MO and see how that works.

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

There will be very little difference between them, i would say get the cheaper one and use the rest of the money to get more RAM.

5. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

Aye, Ok, do you guys recommend any external dvd burners?

6. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran