Want To Close Macbook, But Not Have It Go To Sleep-

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FreshMess, Dec 31, 2006.

1. FreshMess macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2006
    Hi guys

I have my music on my macbook, and im throwing a party tonight. I want the mix to continuously play without my macbook open. I will have the macbook connected to a system as well. Any possibilities?

2. stevento macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    you could close it to about 45 degrees, or if you have an ipod and a dock speaker, that'd wok.
  3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'd worry about heat dissipation issues. Its not meant to be run while the screen is closed. I believe while its closed, if you unplug something thats USB it will wake up with the lid still closed. So if you put it to sleep whilst its playing music, I believe it will resume playing when the USB device is unplugged. not 100%, though.
  4. Aniej macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    The above comment is not correct, if you have an external screen that you can attach it to you can set it up so that the screen being closed does not put the MB to sleep. I am not sure if attaching it to the secondary screen is essential to it not going to sleep, but if it is not, then you have the perfect answer. if it is essential then you have a possibility.

There is no reason to worry about heat issues for the exact reason that I noted above, i.e., the ability to run the MB on a screen with the lid closed. apple would not enable an publicize, for a while now, an option that would allow the entire system to be hurt by heat.
  5. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    yeah i asked this question previous because when i had Adium running and i closed my mb, i would be disconnected. The responses i got were that there are some programs that could change it but everyone pretty much said that it was risky and not worth it. You can look in the "Mac Applications" forum and search for "Adium" to see my thread. GL
  6. Quik-Tix macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2006
    I'm also looking for this solution. For an example I'm in an airport working on my computer and they announce a gate change -- I want to close my MB to transport it safely to the new gate, without losing my internet connections etc. It's a pain to have to redo everything just because I close it. I dont see how there would be any heat issues because the screen should still be off when it's closed and no heat dissipates through the keyboard (or maybe a little).
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    First, here is Mac'Mo's thread, as I was the one who made the suggestions. ;)

Second, heat is NOT THE PROBLEM. The hard disk is the problem. Granted that your MBP has hard disk crash protection (it'll park the heads with sudden movement), you do not want to carry a notebook computer around with the drive heads spinning without exercising extreme caution. Certainly not in multiple orientations (e.g. when you put it in bags, send it through x-ray, etc).

This is a bad idea. iPod HD's were designed for that. Notebook ones were not.
  8. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
  9. spork183 macrumors 6502a

Jul 30, 2006
    damn funny. politically incorrect, but damn funny.