want to create drum tracks don't know what i need...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by vittim, Mar 6, 2007.

1. vittim macrumors newbie

Hey, i'm looking to create drum tracks/beats for my band that has no drummer. the band consists of me and my brother. so, i'm thinking that since i want to be able to create drums live i would want some hardware, some sort of drum machine. Now, i would like to be able to really customize the drum sounds at home and then possibly loop them and have them ready for a live show. What kind of equiptment would i need? A synth and a drum machine? I'm also thinking of buying a loop pedal (Boss DD20 Giga Delay pedal) and hooking that up to my bass/keyboard/vocals or organ. Could that pedal come into play at all when it comes to storing the beats or perhaps adding effects to them live?

The priority here is reproducing all of this on the stage. Can someone help me out? fill me with your knowledge. Thanks.

~vtm

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the two basic components are a sequencer and something that makes drum sounds when triggered via midi. you can do either of these w/ hardware or software. really depends on what you're comfortable with, how involved it's going to get*, and whether you want to drag a laptop to live shows.

* you'll get more power and flexibility with a software sequencer than a hardware, imo.

fwiw, i use Reason to make the bangy sounds (sequencer *and* sounds, plus more, in software).

also check out Ableton Live.

3. e-clipse macrumors 6502

e-clipse

My secret weapon is Reason with Zenhiser drum samples.

4. cschreppel macrumors regular

I use Reason as my sequencer, but I have thousands of acoustic drum samples from the Bob Clearmountain library, dozens of my own, and hundreds of friends who regularly sample (we always sample drums at every session).

Anyway, I trigger those sounds in Reason and usually record the loops into Pro Tools or Peak for editing, processing, etc.

Seems to be much more natural if you're looking for actual drum sounds.

5. e-clipse macrumors 6502

e-clipse

Good advice. :apple:

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The classic answer is an Akai MPC- machine of some sort.

Good for input for recording with those nice rubbery pads, you can load your own samples, has sufficient storage to run a live show without dragging your computer along, you can also play pads live. Just need the $1K- $2K it will cost.

The Boss pedal ain't gonna do it for you.

7. vittim thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies

Thanks all for your input. This is a foreign world to me, but I've always been interested in it. I've always been in full bands, guitars, bass, drums, keys, etc. but now that all i have is guitars and bass, some organ, etc. with only two members i figure this is a good time to explore the area of sequencers, drums pads and whatever.

My funds are limited so what would be a good drum machine to buy for live performances. I was looking at Alesis, is that any good?

Thanks.

~vtm