Want to delete iTunes prefs: OK?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DVDSP, Aug 21, 2005.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

I keep my iTunes library on an external HD. I have changed my iTunes prefs to point it to the external drive. However, everytime I quit it reverts to the standard Music folder (inside the Home directory). This is a PITA 'cause anytime I import/download music I have to change the prefs again or deal with moving the music manually.

So, I'd like to delete the prefs file and see if that helps but here's my question: will that adversely affect anything else with iTunes (i.e.; will I have to re-import all my music? That would suck).

Thanks in advance,

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How about if you replace the directory in your music folder with a symbolic link to the external drive, and just let it revert to pointing to your home directory?

3. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think an alias would work just as well? I don't really want to dive into Terminal if I don't have to.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't have an external drive, so I'm not sure how the alias behaves when it isn't plugged in, but I think it would do what you want. Probably, ideally, you would just put the iTunes Music folder, with the music, on the external drive, and the symbolic link at that level, and keep the rest of the iTunes folder on the home drive. That way, it never "fails to exist," which is what, I think, causes iTunes to revert back to the home directory.

But you have to make choices, I guess. If you don't want to use terminal, but it's an option that works, then find another way that involves what you do want to use. :(

PS. Wait, though...does it revert, even if you never unplug the drive in between closing and re-launching iTunes?

5. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it reverts every time the computer is restarted. If I close and re-launch it'll be OK but after restarts it reverts, however, the external drive is always mounted and ready before iTunes is launched.

Funny thing though. I created an alias for the folder on the external drive, moved it to the Music folder and gave it the proper name. I also changed the name of the old iTunes music folder to Old iTunes Music. Now when I check the prefs iTunes is pointing to Old iTunes Music. I think I'm just gonna trash that folder and see what happens...

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Have you simply repaired permissions? iTunes should let you point to a music library on an external drive just fine, and it should stick. So either your permissions are off, or a preference file is corrupt, in which case your idea is a sound one.