Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrawfordCrensha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2010
I would like to delete over 1,000 emails on my iPhone. I don't want to delete the emails from the gmail server, but I want them off the iPhone.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
If you're using IMAP, it will delete them from the server if you delete from iPhone.

CrawfordCrensha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Well if deleting them won't work, is there any way to show the most recent emails? Just the past 6 months or so? I am using IMAP Gmail, and I have heard of the ActiveSync (which has the most recent 30 days), but that seemed to have a lot of problems, so I stayed away from it. Any other ways to just so the first, say, 300 emails, without changing the "server" (or whatever the appropriate name is)?

CrawfordCrensha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2010
I now have another problem: My Gmail will show the most recent emails back through about Sunday. Then it will jump to emails from 2009. If I hit the "load more messages" button over and over again, they will load more and more, and when when I've hit that button about 100 times, it will finally load the ones immediately before Sunday. But then, if I close the Mail application, all those emails will be gone and it will be back to the 2009 emails again. I will then have to hit the "load more messages" button even more to get the more recent ones to show. How do I get the most recent emails to show first? And then, after I hit the "load more messages" button, show the later ones?

I am currently using Gmail IMAP. I tried ActiveSync and POP and those both had the same problem. I also erased the old IMAP and put it in again, just to start over. Same problems again and again. (Just so you think I'm not dillusional, the emails show perfectly in the Gmail web browser- no weird jumps like I have described on the iPhone Mail.)

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
If you're using IMAP, it will delete them from the server if you delete from iPhone.

this happens only if you set it up by pressing the 'gmail' button, if you set it up through the 'other' option or through 'exchange' then when you 'delete' it removes them from the inbox but leaves them in 'all mail' on gmails server and you can then go into the 'all mail' folder on your iphone to look at older messages.

are you one who keeps all your mail in the inbox instead of archiving it? if so you could archive it all then just move the most recent back to your inbox that should sort it

..-.

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
Ewing, NJ
I'm surprised how tedious deleting mail from the inbox can be. You'd think there'd be a "select all" or "delete all" ability.

Frank

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
I dont understand why you would want to keep that many emails anyway. unless you are the guy who keeps all the dirty jokes going around and around and around!! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.