Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
London
I work full time as a sys admin, mostly Citrix (hence sig), but times are rather lean what with a baby and all. While the obvious option is to get a better paid job, which I probably could do, I'd rather not for a number of reasons that I won't bore you with. I pick up overtime when I can but could still do with some extra $ each month so I thought about trying to find a bit of work I could do out of office hours.

I know there are plenty of people on here who work in the IT industry so I figured it might be a good place to ask and probably won't be stepping on anyones toes.

Ideally, I'm looking for ways to start going about it eg. targeting small businesses and what services to offer.

Much appreciated.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
How does it work in the UK?

Logistics at least here in the USA is probably one of the biggest issues. In the US you either work off the books (don't declare the income - not exactly legal), file a form with the IRS (our tax agency) that declares how much you made - filed by the client, or you start an actual business.

Most Mid-Sized businesses won't touch you without liability insurance. You can work for a consulting firm who will take a piece of your pie, but will handle the insurance part and the tax part.

Small business is probably a good target for part time consultancy.

Other than that, its usually word of mouth to get the jobs. I've seen ads in the wanted section advertising certain skills for part time hire.

I used to do it, but found that it became quickly overwhelming, and the time I put in wasn't worth the pay I got out. Hope it wasn't discouraging as it sounds. If you can find the right place (work weekends), it could lead to something much more lucrative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.