Want to do video editing. Buy now or wait??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wattage, May 27, 2006.

  1. wattage macrumors 6502

    wattage

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #1
    I am still using a 667 TiBook. Recently got a sweet Sony miniDV camera and want to make some DVD's. My dinosaur is waaaayyyyy tooooooo sssslllloooowww for even simple movie making.

    So the question I am posing: Should I wait for the next iMac update (any ideas when that will be), or splurg for a new MacBook Pro??

    My wife and I currently travel for 3 months at a time so the laptop makes more sense, but can't we get more computer for a better price with the iMac?

    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
     
  2. Doctor Q Administrator

    Doctor Q

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #2
    I'd buy now. MacBook Pros are new, so I wouldn't expect a better deal to be around the corner.

    If you'll start video editing as soon as you have a capable machine, I'd buy it now because your TiBook isn't cutting it.

    Only if you weren't actually going to be editing for a couple of months would I suggest waiting, just in case.
     
  3. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

    wattage

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #3
    Is it easy to upgrade Ram and Hard drive in the MBP and the iMac or should you BTO with maxed out ram and hd?
     
  4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #4
    The iMac is pretty much a MacBook Pro, but you can't take it on vacations and such. I'd get a MacBook Pro, take the portability that is available along with the power.
     
  5. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

    wattage

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #5
    Is the Macbook strong enough for video editing, in iMovie and iDVD. Not the pro apps?
     
  6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #6
    It's strong enough for both actually. If you think about it, the MacBook has just about the same specs and the MacBook Pro, it's just on a smaller screen. I'd get at least a gig of ram and you will excellent performance.
     
  7. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

    wattage

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #7
    My wife and I are debating. It seems that if we are going to buy now then we might as well get the 17" MBP. Bigger screen, more ports, DL DVD drive. This is a spontaneous thought, we are trying to save money right now not put 2800 on our credit card ya know. BUT we want to make movies out of our travel footage for family and friends.

    ANY SUGGESTIONS??
     
  8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #8
    Sounds like a good idea, but are you sure you want a 17 incher? I'd get a 15 incher and max it out for some kick-ass performance.
     
  9. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

    wattage

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #9
    why not 17 in.?
     
  10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #10
    The 17" is the better deal. The only bad thing is the screen doesn't get as bright and is not evenly lit. Least that's what I saw at the Apple store and read on the forums.
     
  11. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #11
    It's a BIG portable, and once you buy it, you won't have the willingness to upgrade it because you already spent so much money on it.

    Is there an Apple Store near you? I'd check them out if possible, see if you like it's size and all that stuff.

    I checked out the 15 incher a while back and I thought that screen was pretty big, I couldn't imagine how big the 17 incher would be.


    Ok its getting late I'm sleeping, I'm getting stupider..
     
  12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #12
    The MacBook Pro would definitely meet your needs, and is available now, so I would probably recommend it.

    That being said, you asked about iMacs. Although they don't have the portability, they are still excellent machines, and as for when we might see updates to the line, I'm guessing shortly after WWDC in August. The new Intel Core 2 Duo chips will be out, with the Mac Pros receiving Conroes or Woodcrests, so look for the iMac to see a revision around the same time - especially if the eMacs are refreshed with Core Duos (due to the subsequent price drop in those chips due to the Core 2 Duos). If this happens as well, the iMacs will need to be upgraded to Core 2 Duos to maintain their advantage and product differentiation. :cool:
     
  13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #13
    Maybe for YOU, that is true. But for others, that just doesn't make sense. What upgrades are going to be so expensive? The Ram? A bag to carry it in? I don't get it...

    If your icon is true, it indicates that you use Final Cut Pro. If that is true, then you know that screen realestate is premium. The more the better! I would sacrifice a bit of portability for a larger screen anyday.
     
  14. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #14
    Oh of course I'd love the screen real estate. I just think it would be easier to lug around a 15 inch MBP, but if you can afford a 17 incher, go for it. (I was really sleepy last night and probably made one too many bad comments, damn i should make this white text...).
     
  15. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

    wattage

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #15
    Any other opinions. macbook pro..if so which one??
     
  16. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #16
    I'm sort of in the same situation, only my dinosaur is a 500mhz Tibook. It's served me well over the years...but it's way past time to move on. I've got a few video projects I want to work on, but I'm holding off until I see what the MacPros are going to look like. If those desktops don't grab me, I'm going for Rev.B of a 17" MBP this fall. I really came close to buying the 17" when if first came out but decided to wait to see if Apple fixes the screen problems. And I"m really motivated to wait for the Merom chip. I think we will see MacPro's around July, maybe even end of June? The Merom chips are going to start showing up in MBP end of summer, early Fall. I don't normally think it's a good idea to "wait" for buying, but in this case, I believe it's worth it. The reason is because it's going to be a NEW chip, not just a speed bump. It's also going to be 64bit, and hopefully by then, Apple will have the bugs worked out of the the first shipping units...as in the well documented heat and screen issues. I'm also holding out for the chance the next version of the MBP is going to allow for additional ram. 4 gigs would be nice with Final Cut!! Anyhow, with all of the changes coming, I think it's definately worth waiting 3 or 4 months to see how it shakes out.

    If I were you, I'd go on my trip and see what Apple is shipping when you return. If you need something now, then buy a 15" and put it on eBay when the Merom comes out. Think of the money you lose on resell as "rental" fees.
     
  17. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

    wattage

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #17
    I think we are going to wait until the next MBP update. I must say, we went to the Apple store to check out the MBP, and while they are nice I like the feel of my TiBook better. I don't care for the 'flush' keyboard. We will get a 15" when we get one even though I DO want a DL DVD drive the 17 is just too big for a laptop.


    Anyway, thanks for the input.
     
  18. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

    wattage

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #18
    Alright, not that anyone cares, but here is what we are thinking now.

    What about a new intel mini, maxed out RAM for $1100. This is solely for home video editing and just until the MBP get upgraded or the new OS comes out.

    Can we use our powerbook for the display and keyboard with a new mini??? If so this is what we will do to get us by.
     
  19. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #19
    Well, there's your answer. Now the question is do you have/want to spend the money to splurge on the MBP? Could you manage not doing any video editing/creating while on vacay for those 3 months? If so, you could take your TiBook with you to do internet, mail and chat and then when you get home make the DVDs. The only reason I suggest that is because as you said, the iMac is really more bang for your buck. You gotta pay a pretty penny for portability.
     
  20. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

    bodeh6

    Joined:
    May 18, 2005
    #20
    I would spend a bit more and get a 17" iMac.
    Advantages over mini
    -7200 RPM HD
    -128MB ATI Radeon X1600
    -Faster processor
    -Builtin Display
     
  21. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

    wattage

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    #21

    I don't think you guys understand our situation. We are travel nurses. We take 3 month assignments at a time. We only go home for about 2-4 weeks at a time. So we want to make our movies while we travel.

    Can I use my powerbook with the mini?? Will the laptop work for the display for the mini???
     
  22. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #22
    If you want a desktop computer for home editing, I'd get the iMac then.

    I think you should go with a MacBook Pro NOW, it's more than enough to get the job done with your videos while your on vacation and such. I figure you use iLife, go with a MBP now, don't wait for the update, these machines are fast enough.
     
  23. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

    bodeh6

    Joined:
    May 18, 2005
    #23
    No you cannot use your PowerBook as the display to a mini. My suggestion would be to get either the 2.0Ghz Macbook, or the 15" MBP if you have the money. My suggestion would be the MBP for on the go video editting/authoring.
     
  24. Copland macrumors regular

    Copland

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #24
    You can, if you use remote control software like Timbuktu (I think that there is similar software bundled with Mac OS X).

    A few caveats:

    The machines have to be networked (probably via a Ethernet crossover cable is easiest)

    I'm not sure how fast the computer would be compared to a keyboard and monitor directly connected to the mini.
     
  25. Ugg macrumors 68000

    Ugg

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    Location:
    Penryn
    #25
    I don't think that will work.

    My suggestion would be to get a 15" MBP or simply a Macbook and then get a 20" external monitor. Sure, the Mini is portable but without a battery, you're stuck near a power outlet. I have a 12" PB and it's tough to edit film on because of the size of the screen. I'm shopping around and will probably get an LCD this fall. The portablity of the 12" is excellent and I'm not stuck inside.

    If you've gotten used to the portability of your PB, you'll probably be disappointed with a Mini.
     

Share This Page