Want to Format

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hysteria, Jan 19, 2007.

1. hysteria macrumors newbie

Okay, I have a Macbook Pro and have had it for around 8 months and want to reformat. I've backed everything I want up and have the OS X installaion CD's.
    What do I do from here? I know this is probably easy and somewhat similar to formatting in windows but im not sure where to go from here.

Any help would be very nice,

thank you

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

1). Insert disk
    2). Click on "Install MacOSX icon"
    3). Computer will ask to reboot
    4). When it comes back up, it will ask for the drive you want to install the OS on. That's it.

Just follow directions on screen, and you should be fine. I know you're thinking that this will do an "update" like it does in XP, but don't worry, you'll have a new MBP at the end. By the way- why do you want to do this? Too many files scatered everywhere, or is it the PC urge to scrap your computer every so often. I do that sometimes just to remind myself I really don't need to anymore.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it doesn't come up with an Erase & Install option then you can erase/format the drive in Disk Utility from the OSX discs. Although as Lovesong wisely said, reformatting isn't usually necessary and can quite easily result in lost files if you're not perfectly backed up. :)