Want to get into Mac Gaming Where to start?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mgiddy911, Jul 24, 2004.

1. mgiddy911 macrumors member

I'm am a die hard mac user, I used to be a big mac gamer until game requirements got to high for my computer. I run a upgraded g3 8600... I am looking to get back into mac gaming, I want to upgrade computers but not spend all too much, I was wondering if anyone has ideas for lowerend gaming machines for mac, bewteen $500-1000. I have looked at quicksilvers and digital audios mainly, I want something with AGP...I know emacs can be bought refurb for 700ish but they are lacking in upgradablility and ship with a 9200 32MB...
    please write back with suggestions

2. usmcdiorio macrumors newbie

usmcdiorio

Emac's are actually a good start if you don't have a lot of money. The processor speed is nothing like a G5, but there aren't many computers that are. They come with a fair amount of ram, pretty good video card. Look into it more, hope I helped a little.

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Wait a few months and see what comes of the new iMacs. You may be able to get a very kickin' G5 system for around $1500.

4. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

Being a mac gamer isn't cheap...i doubt if you'll get a machine that's any better than decent (for the latest games) between $500-1000

Perhaps an emac, but i don't think it will be decent for the latest games

the minimum requirements for doom 3 on PC is 1.5 ghz! You'll need a new G5 if that's that case with mac

5. LoadRunner macrumors member

well what game do you wish to play? Unreal 2003, cod, medal of onner, q3a, SecondLife, battle chess, warcraft III, warcraft worlds, Diablo II, doom III?

6. applekid macrumors 68020

First rule, never ever get an iMac or eMac for gaming. Unless these rumored G5 iMacs have PCI cards and AGP slots that can be upgraded, I don't recommend waiting for those. An iMac will last you six months as far as game playability goes. Sure, you'll see some budget games come out that are quite affordable and playable, but if you plan on playing triple-A titles that are released in the next six months, don't buy an iMac. The G5 iMac will have to blow me away to get me convinced, but I expect to be disappointed as far as gaming is concerned. The eMacs will stay education market and low-end consumer machines.

A nice machine to get for now would be a PowerMac G5. Stay away from any 1.6 GHz G5s. You could go with a used, last generation Dual 1.8 GHz (it has PCI-X slots, unlike the current Dual 1.8 GHz) or either Dual 2.0 GHz. Now, there aren't many hardware items that use PCI-X, so going with the newest 1.8 GHz won't be too bad, but I might consider it just in case. If you can afford a Dual 2.5 GHz, go for it.

For a graphics card, get a 9800 Pro or XT or even the nVidia 6800 Ultra. The Ultra is a huge step up for a high price. The ATI cards will last about a year, I'd say. I'd first see the benchmarks of the Mac version of Doom 3. Doom 3 will definitely be one of the engines that future games will use, so finding out its performance would give you an idea of future games.

I recommend 512 MB to 2 GB for now. RAM is always good, especially the more you have. Make sure to buy the RAM in pairs since the G5s support dual channel memory. (Read up on it) Take the stock RAM and add more or replace it.

For a display, get a cheapo CRT that or a high-end LCD. High-end LCDs (like Apple's) cost more because they have refresh rates that are almost as good as CRTs. So no ghosting, tearing, etc.

7. cubist macrumors 68020

Don't get a Mac primarily for gaming, there aren't enough good titles to justify the enormous expense. If gaming is your main thing, get a Playstation 2. Get a Mac for all the other things you can do with it. For example, you need at least a fast G4, and preferably a G5, to get good results out of iMovie and GarageBand. Get involved with GarageBand, and you won't care about playing games anymore...!

(edit) I just realized you're asking about low-priced hardware. Look for a used dual-867 MDD G4 for $1000, or a quicksilver with at least a 933. The other machines are just too slow.

8. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

if you want to do console gaming, get a xbox. and modd it. its well worth it. i hate microsoft just as much as the next guy, but the ps2 or game-cube cannot even compare to the xbox. get halo and on november 9th get halo 2, and your gaming needs will be fulfilled.

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Mod it? For what reason?

Get a Gamecube. You'll thank yourself next year when the new Zelda game comes along. Not to mention the new Metroid Prime game, and others.

10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yeah there isn't much gaming to get into on the Mac. If you really want to get into gaming I reccemend the Xbox. Great machine. I don't have one but I love it. I plan on buying one. I mean sure I do a fair amount of gaming on the Mac, but it's just not a gaming machine. I plan on geting some games on the Mac if they are ported (there are a few) but honestly I'm looking towards a Xbox in the future for most of my gaming.

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

We all know why it would be beneficial to mod it, but that kind of talk isn't allowed on the boards. If you want the PC gaming experience on a console, the xbox is the only way. The gamecube has no online play (besides phantasy star online), which sucks. The PS2 also has online play, though, so I'd say either get the PS2 or the xbox, with my primary suggestion being an xbox. I'm a FPS person, so the xbox fills my need. If you are an RPG person, though, the xbox isn't for you.

12. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

All the games on my box are mine(all 4 of them, halo,pgr,pgr2,and morrwind goty) i was not implying that you modd it, and go rent all the games you can fit in your car. you shouldn't do that, buy the games, its worth it. The only game that i bought be sides the ones i listed above was Ghost Recon Island thunder, and i sold it after a week of playing it, it sucked.

I modded mine so i dont scratch the disks when i take then to lans, and so i can take full advantage of its potential. also if you have little kids, its perfect for that very reason, the disks will get scratched, and will be unplayable after a while.

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Of course there are legal uses for a modded xbox, but, let's face it, most people will use it for illegal purposes. Out of curiosity, have you done any visual mods to your xbox?

14. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

My first suggestion would be spend that $500 to $1000 on a PC, or if you are so inclined, spend a fraction of that on a console and some games. You'll get superior gaming performance out of a $1000 PC versus a $1000 upgraded 'FrankenMac'. Even low-end G5 systems (speaking from experience with my 1.6GHz G5/Radeon 9600 system) offer only what I would describe as a 'moderate' level of gaming performance. Gameplay is good at resolutions like 1024x768 and 1280x1024, but start turning up the detail levels, or crank the resolution up and FPS scores quickly drop to 20 and below.

Even if you do manage to find a decent second-hand G4 based system with an AGP slot, it's likely that the CPU speed would be the bottleneck, even after adding a decent upgraded AGP graphics card like a Radeon 8500, GeForce 3 or GeForce 4 Ti (or even a Radeon 9800 if you were splashing out).

15. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would say to either build yourself a cheap pc or buy a game system like xbox or ps2. I wouldn't buy a mac just for gaming, i don't think it's worth the money, mac is so far behind in games compared to other systems it's just not worth the time or money.

16. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well said.

17. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

No no there are a few others with online play. Kirby Airride, ect. But not a lot. Once again if your seeking online play from a console Xbox or PS2 is the way to go. I wonder is Nintendo Revolution (there new system) will have more online play. They would probaly sell more.

18. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yeah, I hope so. Nintendo is missing out on a good time to establish their online service. That's where console gaming is going, whether Nintendo accepts it or not. Nintendo will always be a generation behind the xbox and PS2 when it comes to the online experience, and that's sad. I like nintendo games, but the online has stopped me from buying a console.

19. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

true, but im not on the bandwagon. by visual mods do you mean like paint and things like that? if so yes. i painted mine blue and white. and the controller ports have blue leds in them. i also changed the green leds to blue as well in the little circle on the eject button. the xbox jewle on top is white, with blue text (xbox). And lastly, i have a window on the left side so you can see the modd chip.