Want to get Lasik done...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XNine, Jan 27, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So, I tried setting an appointment with ICON LASIK of Denver, and they screwed me twice (they're doctor was "busy" on the days I ahd made appointments for), so I found the 20/20 Institute, which also does Lasik for the Colorado Avalanche (let's go avalanche- let's go!). They guarentee 20/20 or better or it's free.

Has anyone had this done? What was the outcome? See much better all around? At night? Reading?

I'm near-sighted (so, I can't see things at a distance). Street signs, TV, license plates... I can't read them without glasses.

I did a Forum search and couldn't find a topic on this in here, so, here's one now.

2. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I was thinking of doing it as well and I've spoke to a few people I know that had it done. One guy said driving at night is a bit iffy, he sees light halos and sometimes his vision is poor.

I'm -2.50 R -2.25 L but it's starting to stabilize now. I hope it doesn't drop anymore! I wear monthly contact lenses, basically all day and they're pretty good.

I'm not sure about it though, cutting open your eye? 1% chance of failure?

Maybe when I'm older. :confused: :p

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i wanted to do it, but im not a canidate.. :( now that i realize what it is about, i feel that even if i was i wouldn't want to mess with something as precious as sight, but that's just my personal opinion.. there is however this new treatment called crystalens.. check it out

http://www.crystalens.com/

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

most people (and EVERY one that i have known) to get it done have had wonderful success with it. i think you'll be pleased.

5. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I too am a candidate, but sadly it is out of my price range. I have several friends that have done it with great success.

Even though I can't afford the doctor - I bought a laser pointer last week, maybe some at home lasik ???:p

6. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I've had LASIK done almost a year ago now (March of '05)... couldn't be happier. Last time I went for a follow-up, I was 20/10 in my left and 20/15 in my right eye. I had what's called "custom", or wavefront LASIK done because I had both nearsightedness and astigmatism. Wavefront LASIK is different from other forms of LASIK in that before the surgery is done, a custom map of your eyes are done. During the actual procedure, I also had the intralase laser making the initial cuts instead of the more traditional blade cut. You can find more information on the procedures here: http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/LASIK/procedures.html

Some of my thoughts/observations:

- Be prepared for the actual procedure to be uncomfortable. Don't think that the procedure won't be without pain/discomfort/nausea... no matter how much sedative they give you, you will be conscious and you will be aware of what's going on. Having your eyes forcibly kept open is necessary but unnerving. As is the apparatus that suctions your lenses into the correct position for cutting. Don't let this discourage you, but imagine an elephant setting its foot on your eyeball and you'll begin to get the picture.

- I could see noticeable improvements to my vision immediately. Yes, immediately. In fact, as they were making their shaping cuts. After the procedure, I couldn't tell if I was crying from the discomfort or from the fact that I could already see better. Both probably.

- Make sure the physician doing the surgery has at minimum a few thousand procedures under his or her belt. These are your fricking eyes and you don't really want to be someone's practice, do you?

- I've noticed that my vision is slightly, but noticeably worse at night... signs that I could see clearly during the day, I can tell require me to be a bit closer to make out during the night.

- Be wary of guarantees and low prices. You'd be cautious if someone on eBay were selling current-gen iBooks for $399. Do your research and be even more cautious with your eyes. The opthamalogists basically get one shot at this to get it right... do your self and your eyes a favor and settle for nothing short of the best. I say basically, only because given enough thickness your eyes can be re-shaped with what are called touch-up procedures. But again, everyones eyes are different.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Hi there. 35 year old male, had Lasik done about 4 years ago. Should have done it sooner!

I was near-sighted and wore glasses/contacts all my life. It wasn't until my vision normalized (stopped getting worse) that I went in to see (pardon the pun) the options for corrective surgery.

In the 4 years since I've had mine done I'm sure its even better now. Hell, when I was getting my eyes done new equipment was coming out every six months that was twice as good as the previous! :eek:

Anyway, it's a simple procedure. You can take a light sedative if you're nervous and the whole process is about 10 minutes long. They numb your eyes (obviously) and have you look directly at a red dot. The "worst" part is cutting the cornea flap open. Then there's some brief popping -- about 15-20 seconds worth -- and the flap is put back over. Repeat with second eye.

Your vision will be pretty blurry when you get out. Within a few minutes to an hour it will be noticeably better. Overnight you'll be near perfect the next day. Very important to not rub/touch your eyes for several days! You'll be putting in sterile eye drops every 15 minutes and slowing down to a couple times a day.

Within 2 days your vision normalizes. A repeat "touchup procedure" may be required. You'll have multiple follow-up checkups to see how your vision is doing. Mine was 20/15 since day one and is still 20/15 today!

Only downside is my night vision (which was excellent) isn't quite as good. It's called the "halo effect" and has nothing to do with iPods. ;)Lights at night will have kind of a halo/blur around them. It's not terrible but worth mentioning.

In closing, best thing I ever did. The freedom is amazing. Waking up in the morning and being able to see, perfectly, takes some getting used to. Wearing normal sunglasses, seeing while swimming, etc, are all new experiences. I should have done it years earlier!

Lasik is a no-brainer. Take out a loan or whatever. The change in your quality of life can not be overstated.

8. Timepass macrumors 65816

I am wanting to have it done after I get out of collage. I would love to be able to funition with out having to have the need of correct lens. Wake up in the morning and not have to hunt for my glasses. I have very poor vision. My right eye I have -3.00 and -3.25 is what I wear. To give you a better idea how near sighted I am is I can not longer really read a book any more with out having either my contacts or glass on. if some one is more than 10 ft away from me I can not tell who they are. If my glass get movied while I am sleeping taking a nap I have a lot of trouble finding them. If they are on my desk I have to look for them by feel. They blend into the desk.

Like said about I would love to beable to funition again with out having to relay on them. I think loosing some of my night vision would be a small price to pay for it.

I think any one who has vision at least as bad as mine will understand that it just sucks having it and to truelly under stand the pain of it you hav to have vision as least as bad as mine. It is among the very few disablity out there that one can tell what it would be like not having to live with it.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

-4.75 and -5.25 right here. Been thinking about it for a while, but I've been scared off by the lack of a long-term track record. Obviously the original LASIK is starting to get a track record, but it's been replaced by newer, "better" technologies. I just wonder if everybody who gets LASIK ends up going blind in 25 years...I don't really think that will happen, but nobody really knows what the long-term effects of the surgery are. And your eyes are awfully precious...

10. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
  11. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

During a visit to my ophthalmologist two months ago, I asked for her opinion of the LASIK surgery and she was not hesitant in advising me to avoid it. I know that flies in the face of the many success stories you hear about, but she feels there are still refinements needed in the field and also claims that when problems arise, they can be serious and long-term.

Meanwhile, I will continue to wear my glasses, although it is great reading about some people achieving stellar results like 20/10 and 20/15 ... such impressive numbers put those folks in the elite company of eagles

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

thankfully i have much better vision than 20/20 without needing any surgery.

and personally i would try and avoid eye surgeries unless 100% necessary, because eyes are pretty important.

13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I think mine was $2K total. That included a free "touch up" within the first year, if necessary, and all follow-up visits. Research your doctor heavily.

I don't know what to tell people who are afraid of this procedure. It's FDA approved and considering how many have been done, that's something like a billion eyes.

Perhaps when I'm 80 and blind you'll all have the last laugh. Until then I cherish every day with my perfect vision. No regrets or hesitation whatsoever.

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I am pretty sure phen fen was also FDA approved.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

My uncle is an optometrist and he said for me it isn't worth it.

I am near-sighted and need to wear glasses, and I could easily have the procedure done, but there is a catch...

When everyone else is turning 40-50 years old, and needing reading glasses, I won't need them. It seems if you are near-sighted it counter-acts needing reading glasses. I won't need them for a good 10 years after everyone else. If I had LASIK done, I would be like everyone else and need reading glasses after 40-50 years.

Of course you should check with your eye doctor to see if the same applies to you... It's just something to think about.

16. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I know a few people that have had it done, and they have all been thrilled with the results. They all obtained 20/20 vision and not having to wear glasses/contacts was a big relief.

17. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

how long does it take to "normalize" your eyesight? My eyesight has been continually getting worse for 7-8 years...

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

average price [that i know of] is about $1000 per eye.