Want to legitimize my pirated apps, best way to do it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by likemyorbs, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So here's the deal, I always used to keep my iDevices jailbroken partly so i can pirate apps. Now, i have the new iPad and have no plans to ever jailbreak it. Once the new iPhone is out i won't be jail breaking it either, i need to keep my iPhone 4 jailbroken only for siri. I've decided that keeping up with updates on cracked apps is just too much of a hassle for me, and i got an iTunes gift card for my bday so i figured this is a good time to buy all the apps i've pirated and actually use. What's the best way to go about this? I tried deleting the pirated apps from iTunes but for some reason they keep trying to install onto the iPad every time i sync it. Im thinking its time to setup my iPad as new and stop restoring from old jailbroken backups. Will this work or is there something else i should do to get rid of these apps for good?

2. macrumors 6502a

I'd say you need to delete the pirated apps from iTunes (go into the Apps section and delete them all). If you then restore your iPad so it's fresh and unjailbroken, you should be ready to go (if any pirate apps are still in the system somehow they won't install anyway).

Alternatively you could buy the apps you want on the iPad after restoring it. When you sync the device it should either ignore the iTunes version (because it's already installed) or if the iPad version is updated it should copy over the version in iTunes.

3. macrumors regular

Write a letter to the creators of the apps you've pirated and offer to pay them additional interest for the time you've enjoyed with their hard work.

4. macrumors 6502

Then write a 5 page essay on how piracy is wrong and how it ultimately hurts the developer more in the long-run. :rolleyes:

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Or i can just....not do that. At least I'm buying the apps now, and that's only if they're actually ones that i used.

6. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I like your style. ;)

7. macrumors 68020

This...

8. macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'd say delete all apps from your iTunes, delete your old backups, restore your iPad and start as new from the beginning.

9. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You asked for advice and then you act like that? Figures. His advice wasn't terrible.

Pay for the apps now and amend your post to reference the fact that you're not looking to pay anyone "back" you just want to see the best way to rid yourself of pirated apps.

To answer the question. Delete the apps from your hard drive, you can't just delete from iTunes, delete your backups and then restore your iPad as new and start buying apps.

10. macrumors 68020

You set yourself up for that one.

Normally the Admins would send this sort of thread to the Wasteland but since you mentioned that you will pay for "Some" not all of the Pirated Apps, I guess the Admins are giving others a chance to respond to you in turn.

Simple...

Delete all traces of the Pirated Apps, Restore and update to the latest iOS and purchase your Apps. Minus the Jailbreak the temptation to download Crack Apps will be gone.

11. macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I like how he mentions how he used to pirate apps like its no big deal. :rolleyes:

12. macrumors 65816

Sedulous

At least OP is being honest and heading in the right direction.

13. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Try updating them all at once, you'll get the password input popup, then you'll get the bill.

*FAINT*

14. Redjericho, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

macrumors 6502a

If he is going to buy it, why would it matter? If I buy angry birds and play it for 5 hours and somebody else pirates it, plays for 2.5 hours, buys it, and plays for another 2.5 hours, then the developer profits either way.

For example, Notch (Creator of Minecraft), was asked on twitter by somebody who did not have the money to buy minecraft, and asked him what to do. Notch replied "Just pirate it, and buy it when you have the money" Developers want their programs to be used. Yes, there are dev's that are in it for the money and say "No money? Too bad", but for the most part, they want their work to be acknowledged -even if they have to give a "free trial" per sé- until the consumer has the money.

Advice for OP: I've been in your same boat, was a pirate, but the hassle became a bit much. I would heavily suggest just restarting from new. A fresh iPad restore from ITunes, no backup. You'll have to individually download each app again, but the effort will be worth it in the long run.

15. macrumors regular

In truth I was being somewhat facetious because I was replying to something that I thought was a completely asinine thing to post. However, in the fast-paced world of the App Store, I do believe getting those legitimate sales at the beginning of the cycle is important for the longevity of a product. Pirates-that-pay-later don't do anything to help the much needed inertia of an app launch.

16. macrumors 65816

Some of you are sounding like butt pirates...Get over it. What about when you buy an app and it's crap?

17. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then such is life, isn't it? I guess anyone who calls people "butt pirates" may also fail to see the logic in that though.

18. macrumors 65816

Oh come off of it. Android gives you a short but well needed preview. How simple would it be to do the same with apple? I pirated apps so I knew what I was getting. Good thing too, cuz most were crap. When I switched to my iPad 3, I couldn't care less that the pirated apps were gone, but was pleased I still had my money.

19. macrumors 6502a

So you think it's ok you stole the rest of them. Sorry, you're still a thief.

----------

He still doesn't seem to understand what he did was steal from people.

20. macrumors 65816

You guys aren't butt pirates, sorry, you guys are Gestapo. He didn't come on here to confess, or to ask for help pirating more, he came here because he wants to know how to buy these apps legit. That may sound silly, but having pirated apps makes this tricky.

Enough with the Gestapo crap.

21. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm not on it kiddo. I'm saying such is life. Going into the App store it is evident that you don't get a preview and you won't get a refund without some haggling. It's not the Android App Store; this much is true. I liked having a return-period of sorts with the Android. You're bitching about something that has never been when it comes to the iPhone's app store, I don't get it. Best you can do is say such is life and that's that.

22. macrumors 65816

The same philosophy then applies to bitching devs and their Gestapo. People will always steal, but less will when the purpose is to preview. I keep maybe 5% of my paid android apps, the rest get returned within the return window. Reading the app reviews rarely help, but having 15 minutes to at least see how it feels on your device is great.

23. macrumors 6502a

I can understand your argument, but if the pirate had to choose between pirating the app or not getting it at all, -even at the time of the app's initial launch- the developer would benefit more from the pirate, (Though, obviously, still less than a legitimate purchase) because of the publicity that he could receive, and publicity, as well as profits, is important to app hype and success.

Don't get me wrong, pirating does hurt the community, consumers and developers alike, which is why I turned around and purchased the $400 of pirated apps that I had, and let me just say, I have bought quite a few apps that I would not have bought had I not had the ability to test it out.

It's the people that have the money and ability to actually purchase the applications, yet still choose to pirate, that cause the damage. Unfortunately this is 95% of the pirating community, but the owner of this thread is not one.

Legitimate Purchase = Money and possible publicity for the developer
    Pirate = Possible publicity
    Refraining from getting the app = No developer benefits

You're obviously an educated person, and arguing will get us nowhere, so let's agree to disagree and give this guy his thread back.

24. macrumors 65816

All this talk of pirates has got me dying to batten down some hatches and drink some hooch in preparation for a raid.

25. macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Gestapo terrorized and murdered innocent people. We're not murdering him and he ain't innocent.

I think we're just annoyed because he's shown no signs of remorse whatsoever. And by the way, readily admitting that you pirated apps destroys your credibility too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.