Want to make some of my first DVDs...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Caitlyn, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Hey guys.
    Ok, so, I have about an hour's worth of video that I taped on my friend's Sony digital camera. The video is on my computer as MPEG files. What I want to do is put these movies onto a DVD that will play on most DVD players so we can watch it on our television. So, what is the best way of going about making a DVD like this? Should I just use Toast? Or should I use something like iMovie because it'll be guranteed to work? Do I have to convert anything? Any help is appreciated as I am a complete newbie in the ways of making DVD movies, etc.

Thanks so much!
    -Cait :)
  2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    1. Open iDVD up.
    2. Drag the movie file into iDVD. Just put it somewhere in the big open window. iDVD will automatically add it to the DVD and do the converting, etc.

no need for iMovie if you've already got the footage how you want it, although iMovie can help to clean it up. Toast might work too, but that's how I would do it.

P.S. I see some places you say movie, in other places you say movies. If you have more than one movie file, just drag all of them into iDVD, or if you want them to play sequentially throw them into iMovie and combine them into one.. there might be an easier way to do that on iDVD, I just don't know though.
  3. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Awesome! Thanks so much for the reply/help. :) The movie format is good though right? I don't have to convert it or anything?
  4. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    It needs to be Mpeg-2, but if you drag it into iDVD, iDVD it will convert it all for you, you dont have to worry about it :). Welcome to the world of iLife :D .
  5. nsutt22 macrumors regular

May 5, 2005
    I think Mpeg-4 works but not sure...
  6. jive macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2006
    I don't want to make a new topic so I'm going to ask here - why does it take so long to convert? I had 90 minutes of avi and it took around 4 hours to convert and then about 20 minutes or so to burn. Why does it take so long? I have a 17" iMac with 2Gb ram...
  7. rand() macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2004
    It's simply a complex process. The calculation to do MPEG compression is very processor expensive - it's not a RAM limitation, it's a processor one.

The stand-alone DVD burners they sell typically come with hardware MPEG compressors, which are chips specifically designed for MPEG compression. Macs don't generally have a hardware compressor built into them, so they must do the compression in software, which is slower.

Also, depending on the AVI you pulled the video from, the Mac has to decompress, convert, and then re-compress the video. It's simply a lot of work, and only gets faster with more / faster processors.

Hope that clarifies things,
  8. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The time this takes also depends on the quality you expect the result to have. Sloppy algorithms may be much faster, but I usually care more about the quality, and thus schedule my tasks such that the long encoding runs can be done overnight.

- Martin