Want to Play Multiplayer Games with Brothers Without Macs - Need Recommendations

Discussion in 'Games' started by Covington, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Covington macrumors member

the middle of nowhere ... well, close enough
    Hey, you all.

I have a problem that I think you all can help me will.

My brothers and I live in different states. Every Friday night, we want to have a gaming session together - it's a fun way to keep in touch. Last week, we wanted to play Rise of Nations, but my Mac won't play with their PCs.

Any suggestions of good multiplayer games in which Macs and PCs can play each other?

Thanks in advance,
    Covington a.k.a. Lil' Corsi

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

3. lordmac macrumors regular

The Ones I can think of on op of my head are: (keep in mind sometimes the updates to these games come out for mac later and make for temporary time block where u can't play with other people on pc's)

- Halo 1 for computer
    - Quake 3 Arena
    - Unreal Tournament (almost any of them)
    - Warcraft (any of them, this game in particular has excellent support for both mac and pc)
    - Diablo
    - World of Warcraft
    - Call of Duty and Expansion pack
    - Battlefield 1942
    - Postal 2
    - Medal Of Honor
    - Command and Conquer

As for some Oldies but still fun and notable:
    - Duke Nukem 3D
    - Doom

Thats all I can think of right now im sure there is more out there, and I don't know what kind of game in particular your looking for so. Hope this helps.
    :) :D ;)

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

i would also add doom 3, homeworld 2, starcraft (as any other blizzard's game, it works great), return to castle wolfenstein, myth 2 soulblighter (although it needs a bit of setup).

5. lordmac macrumors regular

Wow, How did I forget Starcraft, I blame it on the fact that I wrote that post at 3:00 am. Thank you for catching my horrible mistake. :p ;) :D :)

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Here are just a few good ones:

-Starcraft and Warcraft (I don't it but I know multiplayer is PC + Mac)
    -Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (you can now buy the warchest, which is MoH: AA plus expansion packs)
    -Halo: Combat Evolved
    -Call of Duty + Expansion Pack United Offensive (reccemended :D )

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I will add some of my games:

4x4 Evolution 1/2
    Soldier of Fortune 2
    Jedi Knight 2.

Almost every game with multiplayer can do it :)

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

9. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Atleast action games. It seems most strategy games on the mac require gameranger.

10. Covington thread starter macrumors member

the middle of nowhere ... well, close enough
    Thanks, you all.

Got to build up my mac gaming collection.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Why don't they fix this? RON's been out for quite a while now, surely they've had time to add cross-platform networking by now.

12. applekid macrumors 68020

Some proprietary Microsoft networking API. DirectPlay, I think. Same goes for the Age of "whatever" games.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, but why haven't they fixed it? It can't be too difficult to remove the Windows-only API and put a cross-platform one in there.

14. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yes, Blizzard was able to do it.

15. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

If you wait a little bit, you should be able to play America's Army with your brother. ATM, Mac updates are a bit behind, but AA:O v.2.3 for Mac is in the beta stage right now!!!

16. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I have C&C Generals but I can't figure out how to play crossplatform with one of my friends who uses a PC. Is there something special that I need to do?

Thanks,
    JOD8FY

17. DesertFox macrumors member

In the Aspyr Game Agent it says that Command and Conquer does not support Mac to PC play. Same goes for C&C Zero Hour.

Btw this thred is really useful. Some friend and I are planning to have a lan party and they all got PCs (losers, yes i know) and my brother and i are the only ones with mac. god i wanna see them drooling after we whup them either our 15" PowerBook 1.5GHZ G4s. :)

18. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

It is not a matter of fixing it. It is a problem with the proprietary system Microsoft uses. They use Direct play for multiplayer and there is no mac equivalent hence anything based on it can not be cross platform networked. This is the AOE series and RON. Almost every other game is strictly based on TCP/IP so it is easier to get the networking compatible
    It suck because I love the AOE series and I love playing agaist my brother in law who is on a PC :(

19. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

It seems that it's mostly strategy games that can't cross platform. I wonder why.

20. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

applekid already stated the reason: for some reason the original game devolpers decided to use an API for multiplayer that is Windows only. Mac can not use that API so Macsoft and Aspyr are forced to use a different protocol to allow multiplayer.

21. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

It is really limited to Age of Empires and its series everyone else uses TCP/IP as its standard

22. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I know Command & Conquer: Generals and the expansion, Zero Hour, is in the same position.

The Warcraft series, on the other hand, can play Mac against PC.

23. applekid macrumors 68020

You'd have to get MS to budge, too. It's about them, not us. And some developers are probably already quite comfortable with the API. And, since this is MS' game studio, they must be very comfortable.

Also, in the case of C&C:Generals and Zero Hour, there is some heavy assembly code going on with those games, Intel assembly, that is. Glenda Adams stated already how if they left cross-platform MP alone, the Macs would create unimaginable amounts of lag because they have to emulate the Intel's registers and tons of other very technical stuff. And we know how C&C is quite the processor hog.

24. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I just picked up Generals. Run well on lowest settings. It is dissapointing that I can't play against PC users, but I was already aware of that long before I got it.