Want to record TV on my MB. What to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 16, 2006.

1. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I want to record TV shows on my MB. But I certainly dont want a regular TV tuner to do the job as I am least interested in using my MB for TV viewing purpose. I`d be recording stuff using a Standard Definition DTH set top box. So all I need is something with S-Video/Composite inputs. No need for a TV tuner. I dont want to spend extra for a feature I`ll never be using.

Is there something like this available or I`ll have to go for the regular TV Tuners? In that case i dont care if the tuner is completely crap, I`d still buy it if it gives me good results with the Component inputs and is real cheap. Can someone tell me what are the options I have.

Thanx in advance.

2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

If you get a HD box you can use a program called iRecord and a firewire cable to record any type of content off your STB.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Whats an HD Box. Do you mean the STB with a builtin HDD or what:confused:

Or maybe you mean High Def? Thats not even an option here. I dont see HD broadcast coming to India before 3 years to say the least.

How come????????

5. glennp macrumors member

Many cable TV converter boxes that are capable of HD also have a firewire output. Using one of these HD boxes, you can simply use a firewire cable and iRecord on your Mac to record TV (SD and HD). Not as friendly as a Tivo but it works great and you can't beat the price.

6. boxlight macrumors member

Hi -- I'd really like one of these to watch analog cable tv on my iMac. I don't know anything about that kind of stuff, tho.

Can you suggest a specific model or two that I should look at? Any kind of brand name or model number I should google for?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

boxlight

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

8. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Huh. No suggestions at all...
    Seems like I`ll be forced to buy a TV Tuner only. eyeTV looks great but thats almost double my budget. Is there some other cheaper option available. I dont carebout the TV tuner quality, looks or Size etc. All i care for is a Composite in and ability to record on my MB.

9. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I use a Scientific Atlantic 4300HD. But many motorola boxes work as well. See what your cable company uses.

10. ImNoSuperMan thread starter macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Alright. I found the cheapest way to get it done(though not the best). I checkd my Sony Handycam and found out it can convert signal from "Composite In" to DV which can be transferred to my MB using firewire. I used iMovie HD to capture the video and it worked fine. So far so good.

Now the new problem. The iMovie is taking over 12 GB for one hour of recording:eek: . Yes I know it can be compressed later but that will still leave me with only 2 hours video at most before compression:( . Is there a way to capture the video with some sort of compression on the go. I even tried AVCvideo Cap but that too records the stream as DV only and takes up as much space as iMovie.

Please tell me if there`s a solution to my (new) problem..