Want to save my iPhone 5 to iTunes on new comp...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fins831, Nov 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Here's the deal, I currently use a 2009 MBP that is circling the drain. I plan on buying a new MBP this holiday season, but my iPhone 5 is currently synced to the old one, and from what I remember, iPhones can only be 'married' to one system, so when I connect it to transfer music/pics, etc its going to tell me I must delete everything first.

Well, I want to avoid that, and I backup my phone to icloud and iTunes, call me old fashioned. Just wondering how I can somehow save the iPhone to iTunes marriage so when I get my new MBP, I can just tweak a setting or two, paste a file, or something so that basically it recognizes my iPhone and won't ask to delete it...

Any ideas?

2. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Use TM, Carbon Cloner or anything like that, restore on your new computer, you're set.

3. macrumors G4

Small White Car

To elaborate on this, if you use TM, CC, or Migration Assistant (my favorite) then the iPhone will basically think the new computer is the old computer. So that's how these methods work.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I want to start fresh though, and I just don't want to deal with all the clutter of my old system. I haven't deleted anything in 3 years +, I am looking to start fresh but still getting iTunes to recognize my iPhone 5...is it as easy as saving the iPhone backups and pasting them back into the folder?

I just want a fresh new MBP but still retaining my iPhone 5 connection, and then I will start fresh with TM. Is this possible?

5. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Thanks for clarifying, was posting and running earlier.

Yes, this will work. The best was is to copy your entire music folder over, plus the backups which are located here: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Put everying in the same place on your new comp and you'll be fine.

6. macrumors 6502a

Also, don't forget to "deactivate" you old MacBook from your iTunes account. You are only allowed a few devices on your account and if you reach the limit, I believe you have to call Apple and have them reset all your devices (at least that is what I had to do a couple of years ago).

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for heads up, doing all this now

8. macrumors 6502a

You can deauthorize all your devices and re-authorize them as needed, without contacting Apple.