Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hi,
I know this has been discussed in the past, but I've read some of those threads and they didn't really help me. Warning I'm a bit of an iPhone noob, even though I've had one for almost 2 years, I've never really played with it or hacked it or anything and don't know how to unlock or jailbreak or do anything like that. Have never attempted any of the above as I'm scared I'll break something!

Anyway I have an original iPhone 2G which I bought in HK. I got it unlocked and it has worked fine for two years no matter what country I'm in (I live in Australia).

Anyway now I want to sell it. However there's a few things I want to do.

1) I want to delete everything I have on it. So that none of my personal files etc are on it. hopefully then it will appear as it was when it was brand new.

2) I do not want to lose the unlock. I do not know how they unlocked it as almost 2 years ago I just paid a shop to do it and they did it for me. I know it was a software unlock of some sort. As I said, I've never updated it or anything and so it's still Version 1.1.2 (3B48b). Whatever that means.

3) If it is not possible to keep the unlock, what is the easiest and most foolproof way I can unlock it so that it still works internationally and with any SIM etc?

4) Should I upgrade it to the newest firmware or whatever? Will this increase the sale price/make it more desirable? How would I go about to do this? Or should I just leave it how it is?

Thanks for any help that you guys can give me. I really appreciate it! And remember I'm a noob and don't know how to do anything! So if appropriate, I'll need full program names and simple to follow instructions! I use a Mac but if needed I have access to a Windows PC also :)

Thanks again for any info u can give me!

reoreilly

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
I also live in Australia and just bought one on ebay, which was meant to be unlocked, however the girl who sent it to me restored it before she sent it, and it was locked again - I can't unlock it now, and have pretty much bought a useless phone. So I'd recommend that you don't restore it - probably best for the person who buys it too. If you live in NSW you should sell it to me!

funkyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
i live in melbourne but i'm willing to post it anywhere.
but anyway before we get into discussing that i'd like for someone to answer the questions if possible first.
maybe u can save ur phone without having to buy another one if somebody does so *fingers crossed*

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
I also live in Australia and just bought one on ebay, which was meant to be unlocked, however the girl who sent it to me restored it before she sent it, and it was locked again - I can't unlock it now, and have pretty much bought a useless phone. So I'd recommend that you don't restore it - probably best for the person who buys it too. If you live in NSW you should sell it to me!

You guys should both use QuickPwn by the Dev-Team to activate AND unlock your phones. The 2G iPhone is the easiest to unlock. For more info go to
Blog.iphone-dev.org
Just restore your iPhone to the latest (3.0) and it will be unlockable.
How much are you selling it for?

funkyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
You guys should both use QuickPwn by the Dev-Team to activate AND unlock your phones. The 2G iPhone is the easiest to unlock. For more info go to
Blog.iphone-dev.org
Just restore your iPhone to the latest (3.0) and it will be unlockable.
How much are you selling it for?

i'm not sure how much i'll sell it for. was just thinking of chucking it on ebay and trying my luck.
had a quick look at the most recent completed listings on ebay australia and it really seems that some get lucky and some don't.
some are getting as high as $575 & $610 whereas most are selling for $350-450. so i guess i'd be happy with that.
mine is in pretty good condition - no huge scratches etc, screen's pretty good, just got a small scratch on it that's not really noticeable. i've looked after it pretty well and there's never been anything wrong with it. got the box/manual and cables etc so yeah......
anyway thanks for the info abt QuickPwn. i'll look into that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.