Want to sell my eMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jmufellow, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jmufellow
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I'm thinking about selling my eMac on ebay but I realized that shipping would be a big deal. Any ideas on how to ship the unit? I have the original box but the upc codes are cut out of it for a refund :( Oh well. Also how do I erase everything on the computer? I definitely would not like someone looking where I've been finding info on me from my old computer! Thanks.

2. CanadaRAM
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Weigh it, measure the box, Call UPS for their Standard rates or go to a UPS store.

Boot from the OSX CD/DVD, go into Disk Utility from the top menu, Erase the disk with the "secure" option turned on (Options - Zero all Data), go have lunch, then, when it's finished do an Erase and Install to reinstall the OS, and you should be good.

3. jmufellow
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

pardon my idiocracy but I have to erase it again after I already did the secure erase?

4. mac-er
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

When I sold my eMac, it cost about $60 to ship it ground via UPS

5. emaja
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

I sold my eMac on eBay to help pay for the G5 iMac. It cost about $45 by FedEx Ground including insurance.

Make sure that you de-authorize it to play any songs that you bought from ITMS. I zeroed the HD and reinstalled the software. I also gave the buyer the option for me to install all the updates, just in case they didn't have broadband.

6. CanadaRAM
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, you don't have to, but doing it twice is a middle ground between thepurchaser's recoverability (from a simple Erase) and total anal-retentive security (which involves multiple passes of random data, multiple erases and animal sacrifices)

7. jmufellow
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the tips! I want to sell it so I can get an ibook instead for the portability :)

8. crazysaxchris
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

crazysaxchris

when are you going to sell it i might be interested, how much buy it from you knoq :D

9. jmufellow
    Expand Collapse

Cool, actually I'm not sure when, but I'll PM you and give you my email and tell you more :)