Want to start a small business, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by popsandfriends, Jul 29, 2006.

1. popsandfriends macrumors member

Hey everyone.
    For the past 6 months I've been scrambling like mad to find a new job, one that I would have more freedom, and enjoy doing (and the people I work with) To no avail....I live in a town called Topsham, Maine. It borders a sister town Brunswick, and the Main St features many different resturaunts, small businesses, and corporate chains. I read an article online, about how these teens made a small business, even got a storefront! They started from scratch, and made tons of profit. I then saw some teen business sites popping up on the web when Id search in Google. Not many had very inspiring ideas though. The thing with a business is to capture what the small town actually needs. I asked my parents, besides food and gas, what do they need on a regular basis? What servies could be provided, or goods? They didnt really know, and I dont either. Maybe some people here can help me figure out what a decent shop would provide for services or goods.

I understand that this is a big undertaking, infact, it would be happening on my senior year of high school, which is only weeks away. I think If I got the right idea I could make something out of it. Maine has workers comp laws, business tax numbers, registration, minimum wage laws, but I also feel doing this alone would be a foolish thing to do, even though a partnership can be dangerous. That is why I have decided to let my friend in on this, who is a couple years my senior and is very focused in life.

I dont know about him, but here are my interests and/or services I can perform:
    -Computer software/hardware maintenance
    -Web and general graphic and photo alterations
    -freewriting, and writing instruction
    -I like organizing things, i used to work for my grandfather when he cleaned houses
    -I have a passion for music. I can play the guitar, and am well versed in its different functions
    -I have a passion for politics, I know my history, and where I stand on certain issues (however relevant they are to a business, i dont know)
    -I enjoy kids, I know how to interact with children
    -I enjoy motivating people, getting them on the right track, and helping them set things straight
    -I do not like it when i see people who do drugs, drink, or smoke weed, and believe that they are victims of circumstances that have affected their lives
    -My ideal job (besides law enforcement) is one where i can wear a suit, look good and professional to my customers, but i wouldnt mind something more casual

So that is a general idea of the kind of person I am I guess. Just trying to relay ideas here for you all to get the big picture of my options. As far as advertising goes...well i will wait until i get a few responses here first.

Thanks!
    Hunter

2. mannix87 macrumors 6502

unless you have the money to burn, just start small and make sure you enjoy what you're doing. :) prayer, by the way, helps a lot too!