Want to start a small business, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by popsandfriends, Jul 29, 2006.

1. popsandfriends macrumors member

Aug 5, 2005
    Hey everyone.
    For the past 6 months I've been scrambling like mad to find a new job, one that I would have more freedom, and enjoy doing (and the people I work with) To no avail....I live in a town called Topsham, Maine. It borders a sister town Brunswick, and the Main St features many different resturaunts, small businesses, and corporate chains. I read an article online, about how these teens made a small business, even got a storefront! They started from scratch, and made tons of profit. I then saw some teen business sites popping up on the web when Id search in Google. Not many had very inspiring ideas though. The thing with a business is to capture what the small town actually needs. I asked my parents, besides food and gas, what do they need on a regular basis? What servies could be provided, or goods? They didnt really know, and I dont either. Maybe some people here can help me figure out what a decent shop would provide for services or goods.

I understand that this is a big undertaking, infact, it would be happening on my senior year of high school, which is only weeks away. I think If I got the right idea I could make something out of it. Maine has workers comp laws, business tax numbers, registration, minimum wage laws, but I also feel doing this alone would be a foolish thing to do, even though a partnership can be dangerous. That is why I have decided to let my friend in on this, who is a couple years my senior and is very focused in life.

I dont know about him, but here are my interests and/or services I can perform:
    -Computer software/hardware maintenance
    -Web and general graphic and photo alterations
    -freewriting, and writing instruction
    -I like organizing things, i used to work for my grandfather when he cleaned houses
    -I have a passion for music. I can play the guitar, and am well versed in its different functions
    -I have a passion for politics, I know my history, and where I stand on certain issues (however relevant they are to a business, i dont know)
    -I enjoy kids, I know how to interact with children
    -I enjoy motivating people, getting them on the right track, and helping them set things straight
    -I do not like it when i see people who do drugs, drink, or smoke weed, and believe that they are victims of circumstances that have affected their lives
    -My ideal job (besides law enforcement) is one where i can wear a suit, look good and professional to my customers, but i wouldnt mind something more casual

So that is a general idea of the kind of person I am I guess. Just trying to relay ideas here for you all to get the big picture of my options. As far as advertising goes...well i will wait until i get a few responses here first.

2. mannix87 macrumors 6502

Nov 16, 2005
    in the southeast
    unless you have the money to burn, just start small and make sure you enjoy what you're doing. :) prayer, by the way, helps a lot too!