Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

all-in-my-head

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
UK
hi all, new to this forum, and new(ish) to the mac side if life.

Hopefully buying a Dual 2Ghz G5 soon, but wondering a few things!
- When Panther will come preinstalled with it? - the store still has Jag cd image next to OS
- Are there still faults with Dual G5 power supply, heard a few rumors on this, or any other probs that need ironing out?
- And a random thought, how do you choose which colour keyboard you get with the system, white keys or black keys???

Chrs :)

kenkooler

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Mexico City
-Depends on when it was manufactured, you should ask in the store.
-I've never heard a word about that, maybe someone in this forum has.
-I don't think that the G5s have keyboards with black keys.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
If you are really worried about those problems, you might want to wait until the next revision of the PowerMac come out.
Didn't Jobs say that they would be out next year?

I am going to wait for the Dual 3Ghz. Hopefully by then I will have enough $$$ saved up :)

Sailfish

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2003
You just missed the rare opportunity to get a across the board 10% discount at the night of the panther.

THANK YOU MacRumors, I just saved $680

Yippie!

Expose is awesome on a 23" Cinema,

Now for a two button scroll mouse...

all-in-my-head

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
UK
Well unfortunately I'm in the UK and we have no Apple stores :( although i was very tempted to fly to New York to get the discount as it worked out more than the airfare!! But couldn't fit it in, with working n'all.

The Dual 2 is pretty much what i'm after, just want to know when it will be shipping with Panther installed to save the upgrade hassle and keeping contact with Apple Store UK to a minimum. (wont go on about apple uk here, its covered 'a lot' in another thread!!)

Sailfish

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2003
Duallies have 10.2 in the box, you get a upgrade package. (no fancy X box, shucks)

Now is the best time if your going to buy, it's going to take a bit for the third party apps to resolve conflicts, but not very long.

Also 10.2 is packaged in the computer boxes from the factory it will take months to clear the inventory. Upgrading a new machine is a breeze. If you have trouble call Apple and ask for a Panther box instead.

Jump in now, get Panther running and get your music in and Safari up and running and wait for the next third party "upgrade" of your needed third party software. Buy a printer and get that running. Buy and test your RAM sticks.

Buy the third party software, download the upgrades/revision.

And you'll have the hottest latest system available on the planet.

Oh invest in some quality speakers, something that has it's own power supply and adjustable controls.

I tried the JBL Creature, Invaders ok, but I'm going to get something bigger and more wattage.

Good luck.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
If you can wait until about April of 04 to buy your powermac, you'll get a lot more for your money. Plus, by then any kinks you're worried about will be ironed out completely. Besides, based on the rate that apple prices have fallen in the past year, by spring you will definatly get about 10% more machine for 10% less money.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by kuyu
If you can wait until about April of 04 to buy your powermac, you'll get a lot more for your money. Plus, by then any kinks you're worried about will be ironed out completely. Besides, based on the rate that apple prices have fallen in the past year, by spring you will definatly get about 10% more machine for 10% less money.

April is likely to be the time for announcing a new machine, not for shipping. I say get your machine now, if you think you need it. Only wait if you have performance in your current computer to last at least 12 months. A revision may come along sooner, but waiting for the next best is never a sure timeline.

Dan

DaYC-Ent

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2003
Norfolk, VA, USA
not really worrying about price, would it be worth it to get a maxed out G5, or wait for the next release, as you guys say, in April?? i'm pricing a dual G5 and i'm looking at about $11,150.90 on the apple website, and that's before all the software and little accessories ($14,297.70 after) i figure that should last me quite a while, even with whatever's coming out in the next year.

the PB will come first, then i get a powermac for the desktop.

but then again, i'm a :mad: PC'er who has seen the light and am trying desparately to make the switch as soon as possible.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
I would say, switch now! The dual G5 will be top of the line for a while. Apple wont announce anything faster until AMD and intel catch up and it could take a few months. And even then, my guess is that they are going to drop the 1.6, give a single 2ghz and make a new dual 2.3+. So it wont be such a big improvement.

If you really want to improve the speed of the dual 2ghz, put 2 raptor HD in raid in it. There will be some noise, but the speed improvement is insane. With these HD, a 1.6 is faster than the 1.8 in most tests just to give you an idea.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Originally posted by DaYC-Ent
not really worrying about price, would it be worth it to get a maxed out G5, or wait for the next release, as you guys say, in April?? i'm pricing a dual G5 and i'm looking at about $11,150.90 on the apple website, and that's before all the software and little accessories ($14,297.70 after) i figure that should last me quite a while, even with whatever's coming out in the next year.

Wow... ermmm... could you buy me an iBook while you're at it? I'll pay shipping! ;)

evolu

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
LA la land...
Buy now. You're going to get an amazingly fast computer that is going to blaze with panther. I've played the waiting game before and it rarely pays off. If you want the computer and you have the cash - go for it.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
look at the Tyan K8W (S2885) (supports up to 32GB or RAM)
and the AMD Opterons.

That's what I am going to buy. with a Radeon 9800XT and as many optical and hard dirves as I want.

Attachments

• s2885.gif
    s2885.gif
    40.5 KB · Views: 189
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.