Want to upgrade iMac RAM

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ipoddin, Jan 7, 2004.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I know there are two slots for a total of 1gb. Currently I have 2 256mb sticks for 512mb. I want 1gb and I know that one of the slots is inaccessible.

Given that I need to replace both, and don't want to do it myself, can I just take this in to an Apple store with my own RAM I purchase somewhere else, and have them install both sticks? How much do they charge? I have a 17" fp iMac that's a little over a year old. Thanks.

2. lbodnar macrumors regular

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

It can actually handle 1536 MB. So, if you got the money to get a 1024 mb dimm, you're set for a while.

4. Calliander macrumors member

I wouldn't say that it's easy, and I wouldn't do it myself. (Well, I would, but I don't suggest you do so.) You can buy the RAM and have the Apple Store or a Service Provider do it for you. Some places might do a value-add service for you if you buy the RAM from them.

Opening your iMac to get to the logic board and the other piece of RAM is not recommended. You could violate your warranty or damage your machine.

5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Just a question, and definitely NOT a flame..

But, why do people feel the need to put certifications after their name? The only thing I can come up with is to impress people. Reminds me of all the CCNA's, MCSE's, and CISSP's that put it after their name on everything.

6. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Hmm, that doesn't seem so easy to me...quite a complex description and I build my own PC's!

I think I'll just call the Apple store and ask them what it would cost.

7. Calliander macrumors member

Partly to impress people. ;)

But also, I'm hoping that my certs will lend a sort of credibility to my "Do not take your machine apart!" advice. I've had to fix too many machines that people either modded or tried to upgrade themselves in areas that are specifically for Apple branded techs.

I can't speak for everyone else, though.

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Thanks for the answer.

I also appreciate the fact that you didn't take offense to my email.

Cheers!

Tom

9. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I guess my final question is, will any brand of PC133 RAM work? I've had good experience with Crucial and Corsair for my PC.

10. Calliander macrumors member

Not a problem. I'm here to help. ;)

And ipoddin - I would buy the RAM from an Apple Reseller. That way, you get RAM they've tested to be good with the machine.

http://applefn.infonow.net/bin/findNow?CLIENT_ID=APPLE_WTB_USA

11. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I heard nothing but good stuff from crucial! Read some of the other posts which are Ram upgrade related. You hear everyone saying that crucial is good and pretty cheap!

12. lbodnar macrumors regular

I had a problem with 512 MB PC-133 SRAM module from PNY Technologies in eMac. OS X was OK in any respect but I could not boot from Apple Hardware Diagnostics CD - it would simply bail out to Open Firmware prompt.

It could have been not a memory problem per se but EEPROM chip info on the module.

No-branded OEM modules were fine.

eMac memory is easy to replace so swapping things around was not a problem. iMac is a bit trickier.

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Well, I upped my FS iMac RAM to a Gig myself and I didn't think it was a big deal. You can get the heat-sink compound at Radio Shack ;)

14. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

Go with Crucial, you wont regret it. Very easy to find the appropiate memory and a great company to deal with.

15. elmimmo macrumors 6502

A heat-sink? For the iMac!?

16. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

No, it's the stuff you use to make sure adequate heat transfers across two flat surfaces. See the link with the installation instructions.

17. lbodnar macrumors regular

When you take the bottom off iMac there is a place where the rest of the case is connecting to it and supposed to be behaving as a huge heat-sink. It's a good idea to refresh the heat compound there. However I did not bother...

18. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I've heard there was only one, but I found two on my 800 17". At any rate, when I considered the price of the iMac when I bought it ($2000 USD) and the price of the compound ($1.99 USD), I figured I'd replace the compound.

Also, make sure to remove the old compound first!