Want to VIEW PDFs, not auto save all of them (Safari). HOW?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by IrishEyes, Apr 19, 2004.

1. IrishEyes macrumors newbie

For the most part, I love the new OS and software, but one thing that has been frustrating is that Safari automatically saves each and every PDF I click on, instead of allowing me to view them inside the browser and save the ones I want (like Explorer does). This means I'm constantly having to go back and look at them all again to delete the ones I don't want and keep the ones I do. I've looked for preferences on this topic, as I think it's probably something simple, but I can't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, Safari can't view PDFs inside the browser, and neither will IE or other browsers because Adobe's PDF viewer browser plugin is not distributed anymore. You probably have an older version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (pre-6.0) which still has the plugin; that's why it works with IE now. Safari must not be compatible with that plugin. I don't think there is any way around this now, and it's all Adobe's fault.

3. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Run a search for 'PDF Browser plugin' on Versiontracker. There's a plugin that works well with safari, just drop it in 'Library/Internet Plug-Ins'.

Link.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Simply not true. You can use your browser to view PDFs--their first pages, anyway--using the QuickTime plug-in. If you enable PDFs in QuickTime, then the first page of any PDF will appear in your browser. Of course, if you want to read the whole thing, you will have to download it.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Well, I learn something new every day on these forums. I never knew that the QuickTime plugin could read PDFs in Safari!

6. GovornorPhatt macrumors regular

Use the pdf browser plugin that whocares mentioned. It works great and is lightning fast compared to downloading the files. I highly recomend it.

7. benny.c macrumors newbie

the pdf things being anoying me too.

just installed the plug in and i agree, it's spot on. lightning quick and sooooo easy to use :D

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

It's kinda funny... I've always HATED the fact that the Acrobat plugin would force me to read PDFs inside my browser window. I much prefer reading them in their own separate window - fewer toolbars mean I can make the document bigger. :)

9. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

True, but when you just want to take a look at the PDF, it's a real pain in the arse to have do downlaod it and open it in Preview/Acrobat. ;)

10. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

There you go blaming Adobe again! set the Safari prferences to use "Picture Viewer" to open PDFs then "Export" when you want to save them.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That doesn't work - Picture Viewer the QuickTime component no longer exists in Mac OS X, and Safari doesn't have this preference. The preference must be set in a Finder Get Info window for a PDF file.

12. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

OK, my bad. I was thinking Jaguar (spent a lot of time trying to see what "assistants" were being used to open and read files in Safari using 10.2). Haven't tried in Panther yet.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Cool. That had been bugging me for a while as well. Thanks Whocares.

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

yeah, PDF plugin...

Attached Files:

15. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

So under the "Help" menu > "Show Installed Plug-ins" how would one go about editing what plug-ins do what? I'm sure there is something out there. I can't believe QuuickTime is going to be the proprietary fix for Safari. :(

16. GovornorPhatt macrumors regular

Wow. I looked at your screenshot and realized that I had been using an older version. Wow. It's really improved from version 1.