Want to wipe old iMac's hard drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zac100, May 8, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I have an old iMac from 1997 or 1998. It's unusable and has been sitting in my attic for about 7 years. I want to recycle the thing, but I want to wipe the hard drive clean before doing so.

As near as I can tell, I need to change my startup disk to something other than the hard drive. But I don't have any of the disks/instructions/etc that came with the computer.

Is there any other way (without the sledgehammer) to wipe the hard drive? Free software I can download?

If not, can someone tell me how to create a startup disk?

Thank you!

2. Guest

spinnerlys

Do you currently have a Mac with Firewire?

If so, you can take advantage of Target Disk Mode.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm all PC these days...

4. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

Do you have any older Mac OS X install CD's? If so, you can boot it off one of those and do a zero all data on the drive. Even if you don't have an OSX disc, you can boot it up off an 8 or 9 CD and use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive.

5. Guest

spinnerlys

Do you know someone with a Mac or are able to temporarily get one or able to acquire installation DVDs for that Mac? Can you open the iMac via the many guides that are available?

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll ask around to see if any of my friends have old OS CDs (this is a pre-DVD machine...heck, it's pre-CDR. Just got the good ole CD-ROM drive.)

Thanks!