Want vs. need

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macjay, Feb 2, 2007.

1. macjay macrumors 6502

"Buy only if you need it"

If you really, really want it, is that a need? :D

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

no, it's not needing. you need food and drink and shelter. but it sure feels like i "need" the iphone, i know what you mean!

i'll let other users be mean and call your thread pointless... watch out, here they come!

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

no but i'm not one to say you should wait unless you need it.

if you want it, get it. if you see some benefit in waiting and that benefit outweighs the anticipation and anxiety, then it would make more sense to wait.

4. fall3n macrumors 6502

If everyone went by the rule "buy only what you need" then we wouldn't have pretty much everything we have. I say, buy what you can afford.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Only if it applies to buying a new Mac! :p ;) :D :apple:

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i needed a mac pro for 3d and video editing, but i bought an imac as i like to watch films / front row / tv etc in my bed room (where i work out of) so my wants got the better of me, (now i want both lol)

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It is important to know the difference between what you want and what you need, but there is nothing wrong with wanting things or even buying things you want (if you can afford them).

8. Reaver macrumors 6502

I wanted a Mac Pro but Instead I settled for a Imac and saved money I still get the use of a Mac desktop while saving money for a future investment, If I would have bought the Mac Pro I would have to have waited longer to purchase my new 60 inch DLP tv I just got with my saved up money.

so yes think before leaping ;)

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I think someone would be a VERY boring person if they only bought what they needed and never made some silly, outrageous, omghowdoipayforthis purchases.

it builds character. ;)

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I buy computers when I want them; for me they are just toys. I can't see a reason to wait until I need 1... if I did that I'd still have my Power Mac G5 since it did everything I needed. I don't need an iMac Core 2 Duo but the fact it is as fast (or faster) as the Power Mac G5, has the monitor built in, has a better DVD burner, has a video camera built in, is quieter, has stuff like bluetooth and wireless built in made me WANT IT. So I bought it.

Gotta love Apple... mmm it's tech-crack!

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

agreed. if you can afford it, why not buy it?

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Buddha taught that the root cause of all human suffering is craving :rolleyes:

Consumerism is a work of the devil! Wake up people!! :D

13. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I want a Mac Pro, but before I even consider buying one I need Adobe Creative Suite 3 ;)

14. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I *NEEDED* a new computer, so I got a Macbook for basic web browsing, picture viewing, and some light video editing/ DVD making.

Now that I have that, and it does everything I need it to do, I still *WANT* a Mac Pro. But I also want a new DSLR, and I want a new LCD for my dorm, and I want the X360 HDDVD drive.

You have to make sure to buy your needs first, and then balance what you want with what you can afford.