Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyyong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Thailand
hi, everybody. I have the Power Mac G4 533Mhz( 768 Ram / DVD-RW/ HDD40G/Display 32Mb).
i want to install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
Have how to install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Thank you advance.

MaTUC

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
Santiago de Chile
It probably won't run.. and as you have a .dmg of Leopard you may have downloaded it so its piracy and in consequence you're in the wrong place

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
hi, everybody. I have the Power Mac G4 533Mhz( 768 Ram / DVD-RW/ HDD40G/Display 32Mb).
i want to install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
Have how to install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Thank you advance.

I would suggest NOT even going through the effort.

I had 10.5 running on my Dual-800 G4 Power Mac, and it ran dog slow. I switched back to Tiger, and it's doing MUCH better.

sngx1275

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
I would suggest doing it just because its fun to make it work.

I'm running Leopard on a 533Mhz PowerMac G4 DA with 768MB of RAM. Its pretty slow, but if you are just doing 1 thing at a time its usable. I actually basically run it headless and control it from my Powerbook G4 with screen sharing. I run Transmission on it, and have iTunes open sharing out a pretty healthy music library. I also connect to it through Plex on my Mini and stream HD movies from it.

You can't install it with the retail Leopard dvd though, you need to spin yourself a custom DVD. I can't remember exactly what is done, but there are tutorials out there. Basically you make an image of your Leopard dvd, then you modify a couple lines inside of one file where you are 'artificially' limited to 867Mhz and something else.

So I say go for it, but don't expect it to run like Panther or Tiger.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Ah, go ahead. I'd pop out the hd or target disc it to install leopard, not sure if that actually works but everyone has stated that you can get around the 867mhz bump...

Stuff it with ram. Get faster hds. Disable dashboard. Get a Leopard capable video card. Have fun.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You don't need to make .dmg's and tweak the installer. There is a simple open firmware trick that works great. It simply makes the installer think you have an 867mhz G4. I used it for a 466mhz DA without a problem.

To install Leopard on an "unsupported" G4 clocked under 867 MHz:
1. Reboot your Mac and hold down the Cmd-Opt-O-F keys until you get a white screen with black text. This is the Open Firmware prompt.
2. Insert the Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD.
3. Type the following lines exactly as shown below into the Open Firmware prompt. Be mindful of capitalization, spaces, zeros, etc. If the command is properly typed and understood, Open Firmware will display "ok" at the end of each line after you hit "return". What these lines do is set the CPU speed reported by Open Firmware to OS X as an 867 MHz G4 processor system. They then continue the boot from the DVD drive.
For single CPUs, use the following three lines:
dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0
d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property
boot cd:,\\:tbxi
For dual CPUs, use the following five lines:
dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0
dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@1
boot cd:,\\:tbxi
4. Continue the install normally.
5. This CPU setting is only in effect until the Mac reboots. Once OS X Leopard is installed and your Mac has rebooted, the proper CPU speed should once again be displayed when you select About This Mac under the Apple menu.
bullet.gif

http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.