Wanted install Leopard on Power Mac G4 533

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tonyyong, Mar 28, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

tonyyong

hi, everybody. I have the Power Mac G4 533Mhz( 768 Ram / DVD-RW/ HDD40G/Display 32Mb).
    i want to install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
    Have how to install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Thank you advance.

2. macrumors regular

It probably won't run.. and as you have a .dmg of Leopard you may have downloaded it so its piracy and in consequence you're in the wrong place

3. macrumors 6502

The Mad Hatter

I would suggest NOT even going through the effort.

I had 10.5 running on my Dual-800 G4 Power Mac, and it ran dog slow. I switched back to Tiger, and it's doing MUCH better.

4. macrumors regular

sngx1275

I would suggest doing it just because its fun to make it work.

I'm running Leopard on a 533Mhz PowerMac G4 DA with 768MB of RAM. Its pretty slow, but if you are just doing 1 thing at a time its usable. I actually basically run it headless and control it from my Powerbook G4 with screen sharing. I run Transmission on it, and have iTunes open sharing out a pretty healthy music library. I also connect to it through Plex on my Mini and stream HD movies from it.

You can't install it with the retail Leopard dvd though, you need to spin yourself a custom DVD. I can't remember exactly what is done, but there are tutorials out there. Basically you make an image of your Leopard dvd, then you modify a couple lines inside of one file where you are 'artificially' limited to 867Mhz and something else.

So I say go for it, but don't expect it to run like Panther or Tiger.

5. macrumors 68040

California

Ah, go ahead. I'd pop out the hd or target disc it to install leopard, not sure if that actually works but everyone has stated that you can get around the 867mhz bump...

Stuff it with ram. Get faster hds. Disable dashboard. Get a Leopard capable video card. Have fun.

6. macrumors newbie

You can extract the DMG from the install disk.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

tonyyong

8. macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You don't need to make .dmg's and tweak the installer. There is a simple open firmware trick that works great. It simply makes the installer think you have an 867mhz G4. I used it for a 466mhz DA without a problem.

http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

tonyyong

10. macrumors regular

Or you could just go here:

http://www.mac.profusehost.net/leopardassist/

Download LeopardAssist, it'll enter all those commands for you automagically and let you reboot the machine into those settings so you can install Leopard